Home » Audio » General » Loudspeaker Challenge
Loudspeaker Challenge [message #3721] Sat, 09 September 2006 22:39 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Click on the link below.

Look only at the picture.

DON'T READ THE WORDS!

What size are the woofers?

Re: Loudspeaker Challenge [message #3722 is a reply to message #3721] Sun, 10 September 2006 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Westlake makes some fabulous speakers. I'd like to hear a pair some day. It's pretty impressive for that speaker to be getting down 20hz at 101db sensitivity at only -3db.

Re: Loudspeaker Challenge [message #3723 is a reply to message #3722] Sun, 10 September 2006 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
That's a very, very large enclosure - which makes high efficiency ultrdeep bass possible. I'd guess the total internal volume is in the ballpark of 30 to 35 cubic feet.

Also, note that what's specified is "sensitivity", which would be relative to a 2.83 volt input. The speaker has a 2 ohm minimum impedance, and 2.83 volts into 2 ohms is 4 watts. I presume that's in the bass region - if so, then the speaker's actual 1-watt/1-meter efficiency may be more like 95 dB, which is certainly within the realm of possibility assuming 25-30 cubic feet devoted to those big twin 18" woofers.

Duke

They're "magnificent bastards" ain't they? [message #3724 is a reply to message #3722] Mon, 11 September 2006 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The one I linked to is the "home version" of the big studio monitor - they put it into a tower configuration instead of the big "hope chest" cabinet.

What I've always been really curious about is their use of the Smith horn - I've read an awful lot about that horn, bought a lot of books and old publications for just one article on it - and universally it's agreed that the Smith horn is very diffuse, no "imaging". That seems to go against the grain contrasted with everybody else's studio monitor hype.

Re: Nobody doesn't not like Smith Horns [message #3725 is a reply to message #3724] Mon, 11 September 2006 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
They're all the rage at the Audio Heritage JBL Shrine.

Re: Nobody doesn't not like Smith Horns [message #3727 is a reply to message #3725] Tue, 12 September 2006 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I havnt heard the smith horn yet. I've read a few peoples thoughts who tried them and I was under the impression they came up short.
Maybe we should do a few and check them out?

Smith Horns [message #3728 is a reply to message #3727] Tue, 12 September 2006 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
When properly used I have heard many talk highly about them.

Westlake monitors use them and they are not cheap either.

Ron

Re: Smith Horns [message #3729 is a reply to message #3728] Tue, 12 September 2006 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Lets build some.

Anyone have any design plans or specs available that make it a Smith horn?

Re: Buncha Smith Horns [message #3730 is a reply to message #3729] Tue, 12 September 2006 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
2 minutes at lansing Heritage yielded this.
There's much more

Re: Smith Horns [message #3731 is a reply to message #3729] Tue, 12 September 2006 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ya, I've built a pair. Much better than the 2380A I had before. I don't understand why people say they don't image well. Mine image just as well as direct radiators.

In terms of building a pair, it shouldn't be any problem for you Bill. Here's a couple of posts on my build and link to photos.

http://www.audioroundtable.com/Craftsmen/messages/678.html
http://www.audioroundtable.com/Craftsmen/messages/686.html

I've also got a pair of extra throat adaptors at home if you don't want to make your own.

gar.

Previous Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads - Sunday, Sept 10th
Next Topic: How To Implement The Smithy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:51:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers