Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What are you using for amplification?
What are you using for amplification? [message #36953] Tue, 18 June 2002 06:38 Go to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
Hello everybody,
Well, I've had my Theater 4s running in my "new" system for a little while now. NAD 515 CD changer -> Consonance Basie preamp -> Bottlehead Paramour 2A3 SETs. Everything sounds absolutely great, except when I want to listen to something a little "bassy". I still like to listen to some techno and the like every once in a while, and the Paramours just don't have that low end authority necessary for this type of music (though they seem to excel at jazz). I borrowed a friend's 40W 6L6 tube amp, and the bass was definitely where it should be with these speakers; very full with nice "punch". I'm just curious what others are driving their Pis with and what you think of it. Thanks.

Kevin

Re: What are you using for amplification? [message #36954 is a reply to message #36953] Tue, 18 June 2002 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
I'm using a SET 300B amp with a modified Foreplay preamp. My SET uses a 6N1P driver and a current source ala Gary Pimm. The output stage is conventional transformer loaded (not parafeed). This is an awsome setup -- with the speakers back against the front wall I had too much bass. I ended up pulling them about 2' out into the room. THey disappear nicely and the imaging is great but the depth could be a bit better. As for power amps I have also tried a 300B PP amp (25w) and a Leak Stereo 20 (wondering what the high NFB would do). In all cases, the SET wins hands down.
Steve
Re: What are you using for amplification? [message #36955 is a reply to message #36953] Tue, 18 June 2002 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi Kevin,

I also use the Paramours. I've added a second pair of stock output transformers and beefed up the parafeed choke but these mods only cleaned up and tightened the bass, not really gave it more power. I usually listen to jazz and you are right, the combo does well with jazz. The other day I modified my Foreplay preamp which really did affect the bass power and output. I switched out the 2uF Hoveland output caps and replaced them with 4uF Auricaps. When I put on "The Yes Album" I was blown away by the power and authority in the bass! Now my system is really capable of full blown rocking out! And with the Paramours to boot! This is in a 11.5'x17.5' room. And the bass that was somewhat boomy is much better contained! This made for a top to bottom improvement with all frequencies in better balance.
If you preamp is cap coupled you might try upping the size and possibly quality. I am no EE type so you might speak to the preamp's designer about this.

Good luck!

G.

Re: What are you using for amplification? [message #36959 is a reply to message #36953] Tue, 18 June 2002 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
i was running a kr18bsi 300b integrated for a while and was really pleased with the performance but still wanted a little more oomph. a few months back i bought a rane x-over and installed a mission 777 sand amp for the woofer with a pair of quad II monoblocs for the tweeters. dynamics, speed and inner detail are much better. and now they really rock. i just sold the quads and am now running a vintage hk push-pull tube on the tweeters. i pocketed some money on the sale of the quads and can't hear any difference in sound. vintage stuff is the best bang for the buck IMHO.

cheers,

george

Re: What are you using for amplification? [message #36960 is a reply to message #36953] Tue, 18 June 2002 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm running 1200 watts of Crown power, so I get a pretty strong "punch." One of these days soon, I'm going to buy a tube amp for demos and the like too, and just for fun. Right now, all I've got with tubes in 'em is four old tube radios, but they really "retro" and cool.

I have listened to Paraglows and Theater four π's and it sounded nice. Just like Garland, I listened to "Yes" during this listening session. Nothing like Squire playing rapid-succession 16th notes on the bass to test the damping of the system. If it isn't damped well - if there's overring - you'll hear a single blur of a note where several distinct bass notes should have been. And if the bass isn't strong, that's noticably objectionable too. But the Paraglow and Theater four combination did well in this regard.

Check out the earlier post about the Paraglow and four π's.

Re: What are you using for amplification? [message #36961 is a reply to message #36960] Tue, 18 June 2002 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman is currently offline  Bugman
Chancellor
Wayne, which Crown amp are you using?

I know some of the older (even vintage) stuff is pretty good, but I have heard differently from some of the newer crown amps.

Re: What are you using for amplification? [message #36962 is a reply to message #36953] Tue, 18 June 2002 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goldengate is currently offline  goldengate
Esquire
Hi:

I am basically using two separate systems. I am matching my Pi Studio 2's with one of two SET Amps - Welbourne Laurels 300B's or Wavelength Gemini 45's. I love the SET tube sound with the Pi's. They match very well.

I also have a ribbon hybrid speaker (Newform Research R645) that I match with a Solid State Odyssey Stratos Amp.

Basically, I listen 75% of the time to the SET/Pi combo. However, when I need to get some "slam", I move over to the Newform/Stratos.

If I ever move to a much larger place, I would love to try out a larger Pi speaker like the Theater 4's. They are a little bit too imposing for me now.

Re: What are you using for amplification? [message #36964 is a reply to message #36953] Tue, 18 June 2002 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin Fritzke is currently offline  Colin Fritzke
Baron
This is the amp that is currently driving my rig. Its a Harman/Kardon 730 receiver dating back to the 1970's when amps were built with hard-wired connections inside and true dual-mono power supplies. I picked this baby up at a garage sale for a steal of a deal one Saturday, just because it was in such nice shape and I thought it might work well for a bedroom or second system. After visiting the Audio Asylum Vintage equipment forum and realizing what I had, I decided to take it into a local electronics shop where the guy specializes in restoring older equipment like this. Performs as good as new and sounds MUCH more powerful than its conservative 45W/channel rating suggests! Very warm and clean sounding; some say it sounds almost like a tube amp but with the horsepower and control that only a solid-state unit can deliver. Works excellent with my new Four Pi's. Currently using a Yamaha CD changer (CDC-755) as a front end, and also an older NAD cassette deck.

I respect tube amp fans, but I'm not one of them!

Regards,
Colin

Re: What are you using for amplification? [message #36968 is a reply to message #36961] Tue, 18 June 2002 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have a Crown Microtech 1200.

Re: What are you using for amplification? [message #36969 is a reply to message #36953] Tue, 18 June 2002 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Rider is currently offline  Rider
Baron
I'm playing Pi 7 theatres that are changing in weird and wonderful ways. I'm currently using a Luxman RX-102 solid state, 40 watt per channel A and B channels. ROCK +. My oldest son (who likes to challenge his hearing) loves these speakers. I swear he comes home just to visit the speakers.

When I first got the Luxman off of Ebay I thought the wattage indicator lights weren't working. I had to turn it up a bit to get the .07 watt lights to come on.

I have the original Pi 7 Theatres on channel A and PHL 1660 non-horn loaded speakers (400-5000 hz) mounted on the front with no crossover on speaker B. At 97db at one watt the PHL's take over a bit. I'll end up bi-amping to take care of this. I'm thinking of picking up a second Luxman RX-102 to take care of these duties, but all the tube supporters could easily convince me to go that way if the pocketbook finds it in it's heart ;-).

Eventually I'll brace and insulate the cabinets better, and I've got a set of Klipsch K-43's on their way. In the Cornerhorns these got crossed at 450 hz. The PHL's pick up at around 400. I'm thinking I might be able to run K43's and the PHL's with no crossover, and put an LPAD on the horns with a high pass crossover on the top. I got one Altec 902-8T (only won one auction) and there is minimal difference with the Emminence high end driver. The Emminence is pretty good. The interesting thing between the K-43's and Emminence Delta 15's is the VAS. Emminence Delta 15's are 10.40. The K-43's are 10.41. Just about like the Pi 7's were designed for them. :-)

The adventure continues.

Grant.

Previous Topic: How do you position your 4 Pi's in your listening room?
Next Topic: Absolutely amazing wood finish
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 19:15:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout