Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How do you position your 4 Pi's in your listening room?
How do you position your 4 Pi's in your listening room? [message #36939] Mon, 17 June 2002 19:03 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Finished the AR Turntable, re-assembled the flexi-rack, turning my attention to tweaking.
Using the center of the woofer as a reference, I've got mine about 50" from the front wall and 39" from the sides. 12X28X8 room. Moving them closer together actually frees the image from the speaker a little more but the depth collapses a little. Toe-in, about 10 degrees, seems better than perpendicular. Extreme toeing, pointing directly at the chair is bad.
Can't use Cardas, I'd have to listen from the dining table which is also my workbench.
Don't want to have them on the long wall a la Audio Physic, either.
'Audio Physic'; sounds nasty somehow, doesn't it?
Doesn't seem possible to make the beasts "disappear".
What works for you all?

Re: How do you position your 4 Pi's in your listening room? [message #36940 is a reply to message #36939] Mon, 17 June 2002 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I like 'em in the corners, pointed in to cross just in front of the listening positon. They're pretty "placement friendly" really, so I can move them about and be relatively happy with them in other places. But they're best against a wall or in a corner.
Re: How do you position your 4 Pi's in your listening room? [message #36944 is a reply to message #36939] Tue, 18 June 2002 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Hi Till, They are kind of hard to make disappear. This is the current setup. It's slanted more towards placement of the Buschhorn MK2s because the 4 Pis seem less needy in that respect. I agree that the soundstage is better with them closer together, but I haven't made up my mind about whether I like them better on-axis or slightly off. In a week or so they'll go into a new room with more placement flexibility.
John
BTW, you got me in trouble at work. I had just clicked on the link to Bond when I got called for a leaking boiler. When I got back there was a crowd at my desk. You'd think they had nothing better to do..
Re: How do you position your 4 Pi's in your listening room? [message #36945 is a reply to message #36939] Tue, 18 June 2002 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
Till,
I've been playing a bit with this lately. When I get a chance to listen they're getting pulled out about 5' from the front wall and about 3' from the sides. I then have DIY Jon Risch absorbers that I place behind the speakers next to the wall and at the side reflection points. Of course all of this gets shoved back against the wall and hidden away when I'm done per the WAF. A friend of mine gave me the idea to put small wheels on the bottom of the cabinets, and this idea is becoming more and more likely. Anyone think this would be much of a problem? It would give a couple more inches of height. They sit about 1.5" off the ground already on "feet" that I made.

Kevin

Re: How do you position your 4 Pi's in your listening room? [message #36946 is a reply to message #36939] Tue, 18 June 2002 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman is currently offline  Bugman
Chancellor
I don't have the Theater 4's (yet), but with my planar speakers the Audio Physics method made them dissapear compleatly. I was stunned. Undortunaly I can not leave them in that placement, but I am up to moving them now and then.
Re: How do you position your 4 Pi's in your listening room? [message #36947 is a reply to message #36939] Tue, 18 June 2002 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi Till,

I have mine along the long wall in my 17.5'x11.5' room. The small room is also used as a family/TV room and door placement dictates furniture layout. Damn! but the sound is not bad with the speakers about 10' apart and 2' from the front wall; 8' from the ears. I have them toed in to fire directly at me and the speakers are spiked and elevated 1" higher in front.

This is the only configuration I've tried. -Hope to experiment some in the near future. One of the best layouts Ive ever had was in a squarish room with the speakers(Vandersteen 2ci's) firing on the diagonal. Awesome disappearing act! and lack of prominent resonance/standing waves.

G.

Re: How do you position your 4 Pi's in your listening room? [message #36951 is a reply to message #36939] Tue, 18 June 2002 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
i've got mine in corners about 15' apart. bass response is phenomenal. i have to stand in the kitchen to get a proper image but thats typically where everyone hangs out anyways.

cheers,

george

Re: How do you position your 4 Pi's in your listening room? [message #36952 is a reply to message #36939] Tue, 18 June 2002 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have mine located near the corners of my 12x12 room, about ten feet apart from each other, tilted in to face me on the other side of the room in the center.

The positioning tends to sound pretty nice for both my four pi and ten pi units (modified). For my ten pi's, bass sounded the best when standing in the middle of the room, while my bass reflex units seem to sound better in the listening position.

Adam

Corner placement is stupid good! [message #36966 is a reply to message #36951] Tue, 18 June 2002 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Can't speak to the nuances yet but all the music is between the speakers, no hole in the middle and the piano, horns, drums and bass are all the right size on Telarc SACD 'Merry Go Round", Freddy Cole.
Whaddya mean you don't have an SACD player?
Re: How do you position your 4 Pi's in your listening room? [message #36972 is a reply to message #36939] Tue, 18 June 2002 16:12 Go to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Mine are near the corner on the short wall. Toe in just does cross in front of me, and I have the fronts tipped up a little for a tad more extension. Killer bass, but linear and nice stage too!! I sit damn far away, 'bout 20 feet.

Thomas

Previous Topic: Premium Stage Four Pi Pictures!
Next Topic: What are you using for amplification?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 07:49:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio