Home » Audio » General » Favorite Music
Favorite Music [message #3691] Fri, 01 September 2006 10:46 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ok--this belongs in the Music Forum I know, but I'm gonna change the direction of the General Forum just for a minute.

What 2-3 CD's or LP's do you consistantly return to really enjoy the music and especially why (doesn't have to be a critical why, mine aren't)? Can be newly recorded stuff, old stuff, whatever--maybe your latest and greatest. Of course most of us have more than 2-3 (or 20-30), but I'm looking for new music to obtain, so help a brother out

I'll start.

VIVALDI - FOUR SEASONS on Telarc with Seiji Ozawa.
I've heard just a handful of recordings of this and I'm always drawn back to the Telarc version. Quiet backgrounds and the instruments are soooo smooth. I'm not a classical afficianado, but I like this.

JOHN MAYALL - BLUES FOR THE LOST DAYS
I like almost all of John's stuff, but something about the song "Trenches" really touches me. Maybe the way he incorporates the harmonica in a somewhat sparse song.

STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN - COULDN'T STAND THE WEATHER
The opening riff of "Couldn't Stand the Weather" just sucks me in! Damn I wish I could play a decent shuffle.

DIANA KRALL -LIVE IN PARIS
Ok, I know most of you female vocal lovers don't put much stock in Krall's work, but I like it as I'm just getting into this type of music and it's easy to listen to. To really get the heretical badge out--I've listen to Billie and I just don't like it. After the fifth song sounding exactly like the first, music and vocals alike, I can't stand it anymore.

MEGADETH - SYMPHONY OF DESTRUCTION
Perfect playing! Not a screwup anywhere. This is my choice when I feel in the mood for metal. I like all the old Metallica stuff, too, but I prefer Megadeth.

Re: Favorite Music [message #3692 is a reply to message #3691] Fri, 01 September 2006 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
We used to do this; look in the archives; we had some excellent reviews by Electratig; Lon; and others. We also tried playlists and favorites. It just never seemed to go anywhere. You should move this to the music forum; I love discussing music. If there were music discussions then there would be less of other types of discussion not so enjoyable.
Best to ask why music doesn't hold much interest. Bod Dylan has his new album out. Considering that the man is a force of nature; invented whole areas of musical thought and wrote many of the most beautifull songs in our history yet in a post on his album in the music forum we get one response I would venture to say music is not the thrust of this group.
Your choices sound good; start something over there.

Re: Favorite Music [message #3693 is a reply to message #3691] Fri, 01 September 2006 18:00 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like Seiji Ozawa too. In particular, I like a recording he did of Pictures at an Exhibition with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in 1968. I've also been in the mood to hear Jewel and Kate Bush when feeling mellow. Tool has always been my band of choice when doing rush hour or whatever else in my life that's fast paced.

Previous Topic: Can someone help me critique this theory I have been formulating?
Next Topic: Lone Star Audiofest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 14:30:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout