Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater 4pi horn/woofer time alignment?
Theater 4pi horn/woofer time alignment? [message #36816] Sun, 09 June 2002 08:19 Go to next message
mhammill is currently offline  mhammill
Chancellor
Greetings,
I've been considering building Yuichi inspired wooden horns for my three front channel speakers. I like the horn having the same length at all angles due to the curved face. The two mains will be tall Theater 4's, I haven't quite figured out the center channel because it needs to be compact. I want to use the same horn and retain a simular tonal balance but with less bass extention and effiecientcy (due to the size, WAF)My rear channels are 2pi like towers.
This brings me to the question.
1. Are there any trade offs with the Yuichi vertical curved design against a design with more of a horizontal radius like the Peavey?
2. What is the Ideal distance from the face of the PSD2002S before the threads to the baffle for time alignment with the delta 15? I have the threaded drivers because I have both Peavey and the larger cheapo Part Express threaded horns.
3. Is this a factor in the soundstaging or over all realizm as it can be in so many other designs?
4. Since I want to build my own horns this seem like the perfect time to ask what would make them match the woofers in this and any other way possible, My primary listening will be with just the two 4pi's and paramour/foreplay combination so I want that to be as good as I can get it. The hieght will put the horns at ear level with the woofers close below. The rest of the crossover, interior volume, birch ply with lots of bracing (although the bracing will be setup to brake up the vertical standing waves since I'm not using the golden ratio in that dimention), and port tuning (26hz?) is pretty much standard so far. Any other suggestions or corrections before I start cutting?
5. Any Ideas for a small front channel design? Maybe two 6" or 8" on either side of the horns?
Thanks,
Mike H
"Time alignment," revisited [message #36817 is a reply to message #36816] Sun, 09 June 2002 12:57 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
These speakers are designed for the horn to be flush with the baffle, which offsets the HF driver approximately 3" behind the midwoofer. See the post called "Phase angles, crossovers and baffle spacing" for more information.

You might also be interested in paper called "Improvements in Monitor Loudspeaker Systems," which was published in volume 31, number 6 of the AES Journal. The authors are David Smith, Don Keele and John Eargle and it describes the same design principles.

Previous Topic: Changing dimentions..
Next Topic: Acoustic Filters, Waveguides and Transmission Lines
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:33:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout