Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » RF interference?
RF interference? [message #36769] Tue, 04 June 2002 16:42 Go to next message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showthread.php?s=f2508a65b417d7722ab84d1481e85ab2&threadid=39116&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

I read this "quick fix" by this guy on the above page. It consists of wiring a 100ohm resistor and extremely high value capacitor in parallel with your speaker drivers. He says that it gets rid of RF noise that can alter the audio signal. It kind of makes sense, as the VC of a speaker is virtually infinite resistance at RF frequencies. But would it actually change the audio signal reaching your speakers? My guess is no, because RF is way out of range of audible sound. Several other people it seems have tried this, and claim to hear a difference. I think it is probably the placebo effect. Kind of like high end speaker cables! :-) Anyone else have any ideas on this? Thanks

Re: RF interference? [message #36773 is a reply to message #36769] Tue, 04 June 2002 21:50 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I suppose there is probably a quirky amplifier somewhere with high enough output impedance that it might pick up RF through the feedback loop. But the output of a good amplifier should act as a direct short to RF frequencies picked up by long speaker wires and voice coils.

Previous Topic: Textured Cabinet Finish
Next Topic: What kinds of caps and coils do most of you use for Pi xovers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 06:04:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio