Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Lathe turned horn for PSD2002
Lathe turned horn for PSD2002 [message #36580] Thu, 23 May 2002 04:21 Go to next message
MartinG is currently offline  MartinG
Chancellor
The link below is from the High Efficiency Forum. Volvotreter is turning his own traxtrix horns out of MDF. I'm new to this kind of thing but how hard would it be to turn one to use a PSD2002 on top of a 4pi? Volvotreter has some info on his website but I don't understand much of it (yet!).

Anybody got any ideas, comments?

Re: Lathe turned horn for PSD2002 [message #36584 is a reply to message #36580] Thu, 23 May 2002 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
str8aro is currently offline  str8aro
Chancellor
It wouldn't be too hard if you were already good at lathe work and had a lathe with the capacity for it. If you wanted to make a really deep one you could get into issues with the boring bar needed, but you'd also need a really big lathe so the boring bar probably wouldn't be such a big deal at that point... You do want to make sure you're not overloading the lathe, though. You can burn out bearings and other such fun things.

John

Re: Lathe turned horn for PSD2002 [message #36585 is a reply to message #36584] Thu, 23 May 2002 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The one he shows on his website is an 850Hz Traxtrix. He used a small metal lathe. It looks like the same size horn would fit on my Jet Mini Lathe.

Wood horns available online [message #36588 is a reply to message #36585] Thu, 23 May 2002 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those horns look great! Sound like you're into making them yourself, but if you are interested, we have wood horns available on the π Speakers shopping cart.

Re: Wood horns available online [message #36590 is a reply to message #36588] Thu, 23 May 2002 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Mr. Martinelli's horns are beautiful. I'd love to have a pair but I have this DIY bug ...

Re: Lathe turned horn for PSD2002 [message #36592 is a reply to message #36585] Thu, 23 May 2002 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
str8aro is currently offline  str8aro
Chancellor
Just be careful if that's a wood lathe you're talking about. The headstock bearings might be much more robust in a metal lathe. Don't you usually use a tailstock when turning wood? Doing the horns, you won't have that support. I suppose you could turn the outside diameter using a tailstock center and then put a center rest on the mouth of the horn...
Re: Lathe turned horn for PSD2002 [message #36594 is a reply to message #36592] Thu, 23 May 2002 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
That's how I figured to do it. I do a lot of bowls and boxes using a faceplate or a chuck. The real problem for me is going to be getting the contour right.
Re: Wood horns available online [message #36600 is a reply to message #36590] Thu, 23 May 2002 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Marting,

Thank you very much. I have the next generation in production now. I will be able to post some pics of some different woods that are available next week. After some initial testing the Aluminum mounting throat has been re designed to offer an even flatter response curve.

I dont blame you one bit for wanting to make your own. I would only suggest you consider making a rectangular horn. They are my preference. I can swing 23" on my larger lathe but I've chosen the square over the round. I think the effort that goes into the square horn is worth it. It's all preference.

Its possible there will be some unfinished kits available later in the fall. so keep an eye open.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks Bill! [message #36606 is a reply to message #36600] Fri, 24 May 2002 04:34 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on your website. Although I haven't heard them I have to say that your horns ARE the best looking I've seen.

Martin.

Previous Topic: Reverse attenuation and HF comp. networks, active X-over
Next Topic: For Sale: Eminence Kappa/2002 2-way speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:09:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers