Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Help me get started
Help me get started [message #36538] Mon, 20 May 2002 15:46 Go to next message
Matthew G. is currently offline  Matthew G.
Esquire
I'd like to get into the Pi world. I need more efficient speakers for my 25 wpc amp (I'd like to go to much lower power in the future). I live in an apartment, so space is a premium. The biggest I could go is the 4 pi, the 3 would probably be better, but perhaps the performance difference merits the space sacrifice. A couple questions.

1) Are all of the series recommended of in home use? How does the performance of the speakers change as you move up the performance series, etc?

2) What tools are needed to build a cabinet. Other than a basic saw, I have nothing, and I don't have a great workspace. Do I need to suck it up and get the speakers pre-built?

Thanks in advance for your help

Re: Help me get started [message #36542 is a reply to message #36538] Mon, 20 May 2002 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray99 is currently offline  ray99
Chancellor
Matthew, search on "mdf cabinet assembly question" . I just asked the question about the tools etc a couple of days ago. I am no cabinet maker and I just started building the cabinet this weekend. I dont think it is too difficult but I havent gotten to the veneering stage which I think may be the most difficult part. Thermionic series and the Pi 4 theatre work well with tubes . Hope this helps.
the essentials [message #36553 is a reply to message #36538] Tue, 21 May 2002 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
Matthew,
My Theater 4s were my first real woodworking project, so it doesn't take a lot of experience. You will, however, need quite a few things. Since you said all you have is a regular saw, I'll try to list a few things that you not normally think about. Without going all out, this is what did it for me:

1. Circular saw: Nothing fancy, but you'll want a carbide blade if you're going to be cutting MDF. You'll need a straight edge, but that's the easy part.
2. Plunge router: You could probably get away with using a Rotozip or similar, but this would be more powerful and not really cost too much more if you shop around. Don't forget the bits.
3. Clamps: You'll want a good assortment. C-clamps are great for holding down the straight edge, while pipe clamps or bar clamps are best for putting the cabinet together. These things are real handy.
4. Square: This is real cheap, but you'll want one.
5. Saw horses: It's so much easier if you've got four of these than just two. With only two, at the end of a cut, something is going to hit the ground.
6. Wood putty: This is great for filling up little spots where the cuts didn't exactly come out perfect.
7. Electric sander: I used mine a lot to help square up edges and clean off excess wood putty and glue.
8. Good ventilation: If you'll be using MDF, this is a must. Cut this stuff outside. The saw dust that stuff creates is unbelievably fine. It gets absolutely everywhere. That being said, you'll also want...
9. Goggles, a mask, and earplugs: Safety first.

After looking at this list (which is not nearly complete) you may want to have someone build it. If you think you may do any of this kind of stuff again, however, a lot of this equipment is a good investment. Look around and price this stuff, and then talk to a cabinet maker. I hope this has helped.

Kevin

Thank you [message #36554 is a reply to message #36538] Tue, 21 May 2002 06:09 Go to previous message
Matthew G. is currently offline  Matthew G.
Esquire
It may, in fact, be better for me to contract out the cabinets. This is not a great time for me to start accumulating lots of tools and equipment. I appreciate your guidance.
Previous Topic: Paul Klipsch
Next Topic: Question for Wayne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 19:22:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout