Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Please "light trough" RCF motors
Please "light trough" RCF motors [message #36507] Sat, 18 May 2002 10:58 Go to next message
Erik from Holland is currently offline  Erik from Holland
Baron
Hi Wayne,

No, there isn't any news yet. I have a temorary motivation problem, and currently not building anything. Altough I still have two projects waiting.

But I do have a question for you. I finished my new PA-subs now a while ago, and I did listened to them a few times. And I'm very impressed by the sound. As you would probebly had read in my earlier threads, I used the RCF L15/554K. Do you know these motors, or did you considered RCF FOR THE pi designs? I would like to hear more comment on them.

Another question, do speaker motors are sensitive for specific climates inside a house. Like to dry and warm, or to cold and moist? Since all of my motors have paper cones, I was curious if climate would shorten there lastings.

Bye, and thanks

Erik

Humidity [message #36508 is a reply to message #36507] Sat, 18 May 2002 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very low humidity greatly shortens the life of the paper diaphragms and cloth or foam surrounds. You don't want them to become wet, but short of that you will find that higher humidity will generally increase the life of your speakers.

The only exception I know of is tropical climates. I understand that these extremely moist climates cause a great deal of problems. I've heard symptoms from people that sound very much like mildew rot, and it is as if the speakers were continually immersed in water. So I suppose that a good range is something like 30% to 70% humidity.

Re: Humidity [message #36526 is a reply to message #36508] Sun, 19 May 2002 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik from Holland is currently offline  Erik from Holland
Baron
Since Holland lies near to the shore, we have hear what you would call a sea-climate. What comes down to that most of the time rainy clowds come from the sea and drop the rain over Holland.
In the summer, when its warm, its also very moist. High Humidity. So when its like 25 or 30 degrees celcius over here, its almost unbearable. But when you go to italy or spain, you can walk wizzling in 40 degrees.
When the sun don't shine its either cold or its raining over here. So we have a very wet climate. But it would not be as moist as in the tropical climates. There are the extremes, veeery hot and veeeeery moist.

If you are interrested I can send you the specs on the RCF 15/554K?

Lexicon has a dolby pro logic/ DTS processor in his product line, what costs over 10.000 USD. This is a neat machine, but far to expensive.
Do you know any surround-processors that cost less, but perfom good?

Thanks, and I will keep you informed on building my own 4Pi's, but it'll have to wait a while. I'm making plans on buiding a house, and that's one thing what's not easy in Holland. You need a long breath for it. Sometimes i wish i could trade my social-insurance that Hollands gives for the benefits of living in America. Cause everything you would want here is such a problem. And f***ing expensive.

Bye, erik

Re: Humidity [message #36528 is a reply to message #36526] Sun, 19 May 2002 07:13 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your humidity is probably perfect for speakers then.

Previous Topic: group delay
Next Topic: What would you build with these JBL drivers and horns?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:20:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio