Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » HELP on mating Pioneer B20FU20-51FW with Motorola KSN-1038A Piezo
HELP on mating Pioneer B20FU20-51FW with Motorola KSN-1038A Piezo [message #36234] Fri, 03 May 2002 11:29 Go to next message
Harrydutt is currently offline  Harrydutt
Esquire
I'm planning to put these two units in a 36l vented box.

I'm a neophyte on technical details so I need your HELP
on how to match the piezo tweeter with the fullrange Pioneer.

What value of resistor and capacitor to use on the piezo,
and any other worthwhile tweaks.

My amplifier is a vacuum tube push-pull giving 15 watts/channel.

Thanks for any help,
Harry.

as mentioned at HUG, the single driver website [message #36237 is a reply to message #36234] Fri, 03 May 2002 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
is where you really need to go with this question. Do a search for pioneer B20. They are a step up from the ratshack crap that have many devoted, delusional fans in the cheap/cheerful crowd that lurks there. Look up "Godzilla's" speaker project.
Not that they "don't sound good". They are OK. But in using CHEAP,taiwan drivers, don't lose sight of the fact that you are deliberately choosing to build a compromised system...don't expect high end results with a low end investment, life and physics do not work that way.
Hey, why not just build something from a PROVEN design, like the 1 Pi's?
That said, I would not part with my B20 TQWT speakers for less than $750 under any circumstances, but YMMV.

single driver web site
http://www.melhuish.org/audio

I'm not "the hall monitor", in spite of what a few individuals might think...but KNOCK OFF THE DOUBLE POSTS. Search the single driver website. Everything you need to know, INCLUDING THE CORRECT T/S data, is there. Good luck. Sam

Re: as mentioned at HUG, the single driver website [message #36239 is a reply to message #36237] Fri, 03 May 2002 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JanB is currently offline  JanB
Esquire
Hi Sam
you are a little hard now , please , let the newbees taste the good sound too.
And , a lot of people has good results with radio schack "crap".
And the One Pi's is cheap too , are they "crap" too? , well no they are not!.
Best Regards
JanB

Re: HELP on mating Pioneer B20FU20-51FW with Motorola KSN-1038A Piezo [message #36242 is a reply to message #36234] Fri, 03 May 2002 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
chances are the Piezo will be a little hotter than the Pioneer. would need efficiency specs for both speakers to know for sure which one will need attenuation. there are a ton of post on the Pi forum on piezo's that you could search into.
if you want to play around. just hook up both speakers together. the piezo does not need a capacitor to protect it. I have added a piezo to a system before for a little extra top end performance. I have used a 1uF cap in series. this will attenuate it and give a higher xo point. the piezo doesnt act like a normal cone speaker. read up a little and play around. you cant hurt it.

bmar

you have a lot of nerve [message #36248 is a reply to message #36239] Fri, 03 May 2002 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
trying to characterize the 1 Pi as being in the same cheap category as ratcrap. The 1 Pi kit is over $40 per speaker in parts...average ratcrapcreation about $10. Made is USA vs. taiwan. Designed by a degreed engineer vs. "internet committees".
Instead of leading him down the damar path favored by ratcrappers, I suggested, "Why not build a proven design like the 1 Pi?". I wanted him to improve his chances of hearing "good sound", it's up to him whether to chase rainbows or follow physics. Had I seen all those posts at HUG, I would not have bothered trying to "help", he's got enough "INFO" now to stay confused already. Sam
Motorola KSN 1038 Information [message #36250 is a reply to message #36234] Fri, 03 May 2002 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't have any experience with the Pioneer B20FU20-51FW but I've worked with the Motorola KSN 1038. There is a collection of posts at the link below about the tweeter that may be helpful to you. Included in this list is a post that has the Motorola spec sheet, showing response, efficiency and distortion. There is also a post that has a chart of values of series capacitors that will give various attenuation values. And you'll find several posts that describe crossover circuits and implementations of many kinds of speakers using the Motorola KSN 1038 tweeter.

B20 "flat" past 10kHz(nt) [message #36265 is a reply to message #36250] Sat, 04 May 2002 12:12 Go to previous message
Grand Master
nt
Previous Topic: Re: Xmax of bass speakers
Next Topic: The Last Word On Tung Oil, Trust Me.......
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 20:55:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio