Home » Audio » General » Can someone help me critique this theory I have been formulating?
Re: Can someone help me critique this theory I have been formulating? [message #3613 is a reply to message #3610] Wed, 30 August 2006 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Akhilesh,

I understand what your saying now. But let me ask one more question. I don't know if you have ever done this. But if you matched the sound of two preamps using your predetermined sine frequency of 1khz. Does that mean that any other frequency you play through the preamps in question would also be matched in volume? Or would the preamps only be matched at that single frequency?

Thanks again.

Re: Can someone help me critique this theory I have been formulating? [message #3614 is a reply to message #3612] Wed, 30 August 2006 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sure; except ; Waaa? Was there a half-truth somewhere in that question? I find it a legitimate question; sorry you can't see that. According to standard DBT formatt ten samples don't make a truth.

Re: Can someone help me critique this theory I have been formulating? [message #3615 is a reply to message #3613] Wed, 30 August 2006 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That's why one is concerned about flatness of frequency responce. Did you read the review on the Boulder amp Azcel uses as a reference? This is dead-nuts flat.

I'm still going through "The Audio Critic." What a great magazine!! I don't agree with him on several issues (eg., tube amps being expensive tone controls.) More later......Colin

Re:Thanks For a reasonable response to a reasonable question LC [message #3616 is a reply to message #3611] Wed, 30 August 2006 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have always wondered why the other side disregards that simple truth.

What is standard DBT format? [message #3617 is a reply to message #3614] Wed, 30 August 2006 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Got reference?

Re: Ohh; Sorry ; I didn't mean to jump the thread [message #3618 is a reply to message #3603] Wed, 30 August 2006 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Pleae excuse my rudeness and see my post further below.

Re: Can someone help me critique this theory I have been formulating? [message #3619 is a reply to message #3614] Wed, 30 August 2006 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Ok, for your benefit only. I don't want to debate these things but I think these statements you made are half truths.

"I know Aczel believes it is; yet don't you find it a little puzzling that these DBT results almost never coincide with results that would provide a usefull set of data?"

"Not to mention that the samples are always way too small for a true DBT study to have any validity. In other words it is almost always a wash regarding information that would prove anything one way or the other."

"Which brings us back to the guitar question. How do they all come to agree?"

Hope that helps.

Re: Can someone help me critique this theory I have been formulating? [message #3620 is a reply to message #3619] Wed, 30 August 2006 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
And what in that statement would infer to you an argument outside of taking a questioning position regarding exactly what would constitute a proper test venue?
I express that the samples are too small to have any validity; not a judgement call by any means but a simple fact.
The consideration of how many of the DBT test's end in a common result of either no success or a simple stand-off has always seemed peculiar to me and seems to address exactly the question you asked. Why is there not more co-relation of results with the tests? Thats my question irregardless of what position Mr Aczel takes or even if this is an audio issue. It is a puzzling thing to me to see many; in fact most musicians agreeing on what instruments are most musical yet in a DBT test on audio gear there is no commonality at all. No confusion there; I merely find it strange and also see it as a very important aspect of the questions you asked.
I believe you read my response as an attack on Mr Aczel; I am way past that. I had my say and am done. These issues I bring up in addressing your question originally have been of interest to me long before I ever read or heard of The Audio Critic. I offered them in response to your questions as an example of how these subjects hold an interest for all of us who have this hobby. And the issue of "Why" muscicians are of like mind in this is you might admitt a perplexing one; at least to me and seemed likewise to you in reflecting on your question.

Re: What is standard DBT format? [message #3621 is a reply to message #3617] Wed, 30 August 2006 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Earl has one example in his book on acoustics. You can find it there. I ain't hunting down the page so don't ask.

Re: Can someone help me critique this theory I have been formulating? [message #3623 is a reply to message #3608] Wed, 30 August 2006 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Actually if the boxes are in view then it wouldn't be DBT as I know it. Usually they do it from behind a curtain or from another room. At least in clinical settings they do.
There are many things that can affect the sound; humidity; ambient noise level; time of day; etc etc it is almost impossible to equalise every aspect of a test.
Then of course you must allow for personal issues; are they taking medication; have they been under stress lately etc etc. All this affects perception.

Previous Topic: This forum is officially re-named
Next Topic: Favorite Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 18:41:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout