Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Filling screw holes for Veneer
Filling screw holes for Veneer [message #36071] Mon, 22 April 2002 17:32 Go to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
I am working on some 2Pi speakers which will also be a first attempt at Veneer over MDF.
are there better choices for filling the screw holes than
Durhams rock hard water putty?

thanks,

Bill

Re: Filling screw holes for Veneer [message #36077 is a reply to message #36071] Tue, 23 April 2002 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
Plain old wood filler worked fine for me when I used veneer once before. It's cheap too.

Kevin

Re: Filling screw holes for Veneer (Quick filler) [message #36093 is a reply to message #36071] Tue, 23 April 2002 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newjerseybt is currently offline  newjerseybt
Chancellor
In a pinch you can mix fine saw dust (from belt sander) with Elmers
furniture glue. This will not look pretty and will not stain. I am
assuming you will veneer over the screws. Fill over the holes 1/16
of an inch as the mix will shrink when dry. Use a sanding block with 60 grit to level the filler.

Re: Filling screw holes with Bondo [message #36096 is a reply to message #36071] Wed, 24 April 2002 12:14 Go to previous message
pRC is currently offline  pRC
Esquire
Seriously, Bondo is one of the all-time greatest materials ever for filling problems in models - It is catalytic so it will always cure fast and reliably (assuming you mix it properly), it is fast so you can go back and sand it down again in only 20 minutes or so, and it sticks well to itself and other materials, so you can patch again and again to build up larger areas. The drawback is the smell and probable carcinogenic effects, please use it in a ventilated area:

1) Mix as directed on a scrap of disposable wood (paper plate, etc.)
2) Spread with a plastic scraper, chisel, popsicle stick...
3) When it starts to 'kick', or gets grainy suddenly, stop working on it.
4) After 3 to 5 minutes, go back with a razor blade and slice off the high spots before it gets too hard.
5) After another 15 minutes you can sand and paint, even though it seems a little tacky still.

good luck/pRC

Previous Topic: good plywood? bad plywood? I'm the plywood with the gun.
Next Topic: Madman Wayne, these kit prices are a freakin' steal!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 18:11:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio