Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater4 with 500c/hf-81/Foreplay-Paramour/ or zen?
Theater4 with 500c/hf-81/Foreplay-Paramour/ or zen? [message #36055] Sun, 21 April 2002 05:54 Go to next message
mhammill is currently offline  mhammill
Chancellor
Good morning,
I've just ordered the parts to start my Theater 4pi speakers. I,m currently finishing up a non pi speaker using the Alpha10 and ksn1038's tuned lower and in a larger box intended for lower power tube amps.
My question is I've heard great things about the synergy between the Theater4 and the Paramour, especially with some mods to the Paramours, would this be the match made in heaven?
I have several choices, my Fisher 500c is fully restored and has a lot-o-balls, I have recapped my newly aquired Eico HF-81 and it still needs to be retubed but it already shows great potential with my Buschorn MKII's, but can't drive my 4ohm pioneer horns with any realistic volume I,m sure due to the load, I also have a unfinished Decware Zen that I would like to use with something but I realize may have limited potential (I also have some battery powered gainclones I'm working on and a Hafler DH200 I could use for party applications).

I realy Like the concept of a SET with the pi4 and would like to here from people that have one or more of these combinations, I listen to blues, jazz, rock, female vocals, as well as othe types or music.I have used many fullrange drivers in search or image and realistic midrange always at the expence of dynamics and the freqency extremes. What's the best comprimize?
Thanks for you comments
Mike H.

Zen with Four Pi [message #36062 is a reply to message #36055] Sun, 21 April 2002 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Borzcik is currently offline  Mike Borzcik
Chancellor
I built a Zen Select to use with my Thermionic Four Pi's and found that it just didn't have enough oomph for my taste. I could usually get it to go loud enough, but it just didn't have enough drive to make the music interesting. I went back to my modified Jolida 302a.

Mike Borzcik

PS--If anyone wants to buy a used Zen Select, let me know. :-)

Re: Zen with Four Pi [message #36063 is a reply to message #36062] Sun, 21 April 2002 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
I agree that the Zen doesn't seem to really cut it for real dynamics and drive. A few weeks ago Dave Cope and I compared his modified Paramours with Eli Duttman's Zen and while the Zen sounded good it just did not compare with the Paramour. The Paramour was graced with upgraded iron but still...! My basically stock Paramours with the Foreplay preamp and the Theater 4 Pi's produce some of the most dynamic and thrilling sound at seemingly concert levels that I've ever heard from a home system. Admittedly, my room is on the small side which helps but still again...!

Garland

i agreed [message #36064 is a reply to message #36063] Mon, 22 April 2002 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
i agreed with garland, i have a 1626 Se Amp 1.5 watt, they really sound so good on my Pi 4 even compare with my Arial speaker but they are just no that loud but with my 2A3 2.5 watts, well i think you wife will chase you out of the house together with the Pi 4 and the 2A3 Amp as well

zeno

Re: Foreplay-Paramour it is! [message #36073 is a reply to message #36064] Mon, 22 April 2002 19:53 Go to previous message
mhammill is currently offline  mhammill
Chancellor
I guess I really do NEED another amp anyway. I haven't gotten a new one in awhile. Time to start stashing away some more toy money.
Thanks for your input I realy want to make these 4pi's sing.
Later,
Mike H.
Previous Topic: Quick Question re construction
Next Topic: stage series plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 19:11:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers