Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi picture
4 Pi picture [message #36050] Sat, 20 April 2002 21:27 Go to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Thought I would post a pic of my 4 Pi's. Just finished up my Basie preamp along with the 4 pi speakers.

Re: 4 Pi picture [message #36051 is a reply to message #36050] Sat, 20 April 2002 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Is the horn a mod or is it part of the stock design?
Re: 4 Pi picture [message #36052 is a reply to message #36050] Sun, 21 April 2002 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frankmalz is currently offline  frankmalz
Chancellor
Wow,
what model of horn have you cloned?

Very nice job!

Are there any more information about construction and woodworking about the horn?

Best wishes
Frank

Wow! Those are wonderful! [message #36053 is a reply to message #36050] Sun, 21 April 2002 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those are really attractive speakers! I see you have the system arranged like George's - It really looks nice!
Nice!!! [message #36054 is a reply to message #36050] Sun, 21 April 2002 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Could you please describe your system and give a review of the Basie?

Thanks and great job!

Garland

Re: 4 Pi picture [message #36056 is a reply to message #36050] Sun, 21 April 2002 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DannyG is currently offline  DannyG
Esquire
Cool looking Pi's.

Is this simply the four Pi with the horn on top? Which four Pi is it (Thermionic or Theater)?

thanks,
DannyG

Re: 4 Pi picture [message #36057 is a reply to message #36050] Sun, 21 April 2002 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
Very nice. Those horns look great. I've got some questions for you about the Basie, if you don't mind. Did you get it from DIY Cable or DIY Hifi Supply? Mine just came in the mail from DIY Hifi Supply a couple of days ago, and I've got a bunch of questions about the instructions. I was just curious if you were using the same instructions, or if yours had been modified.

Kevin

Great looking Pi's! (and a nice setup too) [message #36059 is a reply to message #36050] Sun, 21 April 2002 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Good job!

Thomas

Re: some answers for questions [message #36060 is a reply to message #36050] Sun, 21 April 2002 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Im going to try and roll this up into one response. Thanks for all the comments. These are Professional Series 4Pi speakers using a JBL 2226 and Eminence compression driver MD2001.

The lower cabinets are 26"tall, 19"wide, 13"deep. they are made by JBL and worked out to the same porperties of the Professional Series 4Pi. So I loaded the cabinets with 2226 woofers and blocked off the old horn opening.

This is not the normal design of the 4Pi. It is a 4Pi with the woofer mounted at the top and the horn sitting on top externally. The 4Pi box is the normal though. These horns will be an option to anyones Pi speaker projects when Wayne has his online shopping cart and kits finalized. for now its a modification, soon to be an option.

The Wood horn is not really cloned. It is my design of a 800hz horn which Wayne has given a tremendous amount of design help.
There is a link at the bottom to take you to more info on this horn.
you can click on the pics there to show you some of the building techniques used to make these wood horns. There wont ever be step by step instructions but some pretty good guide lines are layed out if your so inclined :)

The Basie is a great pre amp. I have not built a Forplay so i can not give any direct comparason to that. I have heard the forplay at Lima and I would be very happy with either unit. there were a few things that drew me closer to this design.
I ordered this from DIY Cable and it has the exact same instructions the other Basie has. Good Luck! they could use a little refining but you can get through them. If i can muddle through anyone can.
but i will admit getting through the directions was a good workout.

Sound wise this preamp is great. I dont think it has any hum or noise to it. I had a slight amount of hum when i had the amps hooked to a solid state preamp. i was getting 2.1mV on one side and 1.3mV on the other. its about the same with the Basie so i believe any noise i'm getting to be from my old amps. you have to hold your ear to a speaker to hear this also.

very clean and smooth. I love the thing! I made base's for my mono blocks to match the Basie so it would all go together on the rack.

I have one complaint and I believe it will all go away when i receive the DACT attenuator i have on order. The volume is Very touchy. These are also 100 watt mono blocks so my volume is set from little more than nothing to next to nothing. more than 8oclock is defening.
also if i have the CD playing, i can turn up the volume and hear the CD coming through any of the other input selector spots. but how often would you have a CD playing in the machine at the same time your playing a record? So it has a little cross talk but I dont hold this as a problem.

The Basie is a great preamp and I recomend it to anyone wanting to get into the kit thing.

Thanks for all the comments, hope this helps out.

Bill

good job bmar!!!!!! [message #36061 is a reply to message #36050] Sun, 21 April 2002 12:01 Go to previous message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
i like the contrast between the wood of the horn and the black cabinets.

cheers,

george

Previous Topic: Personal DIY Loudspeaker web sites list
Next Topic: Quick Question re construction
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 05:59:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers