Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Folded horn subs--yuck!
Folded horn subs--yuck! [message #35976] Mon, 15 April 2002 13:02 Go to next message
Mike is currently offline  Mike
Chancellor
I've heard that folded horn subs don't really sound like much unless 1- you crank 'em, and 2- you're at least 30 ft. from them. I find them to be muddy (80 Hz xover) with rotten transients. Surface-mount sub speakers are a huge improvement to my ear. Any other views?
Thanks! Mike
Ever been to a concert anywhere? [message #35979 is a reply to message #35976] Mon, 15 April 2002 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you've ever been to a live gig anywhere, that's what you've heard 'cause most sound systems have horn loading in of the treble, midrange and midbass. Even the lowest bass is sometimes hornloaded as horn subs, and the only reason you don't see it everywhere is that the cabinets are physically large, not because performance is poor.

Re: Folded horn subs--yuck! [message #35980 is a reply to message #35976] Mon, 15 April 2002 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Folded horn *subs*? Good luck finding those. A true horn loaded subwoofer would have a flare frequency at 30 Hz or below, and that would mean a long horn path and large mouth area to boot.

The reason what you heard doesn't sound like subs is because they aren't subs. They are gigantic midbass bins, designed for huge output at 50 Hz and above, and little below that.

Probably why you think so many of them suck is because a lot are severely undersized. I've seen 'bass bins' which are supposedly 40 Hz cut, using a pair of 18" JBL's that were small enough to fit in the trunk of a medium-sized sedan. Not happening. A true 30 Hz horn would be the size of a couple of large refridgerators, Let alone a 20 Hz horn.

Adam

Re: Ever been to a concert anywhere? [message #35981 is a reply to message #35979] Mon, 15 April 2002 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree with Wayne. Large gigs with lots of room and money can accomidate proper setups and will sound a ton better.

Adam

Re: Folded horn subs--yuck! [message #35983 is a reply to message #35976] Mon, 15 April 2002 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
freddyi is currently offline  freddyi
Baron
hey Mike

typical 8-12 cu.ft. W basshorn may have 80Hz flare and ~100Hz mouth - not so good for low bass - especially away from corner - of course Bruce Edgar makes very good horns for bass - also , I'm partial to Karlson or modified Karlson for 36Hz and up

Freddy

Re: Folded horn subs--yuck! [message #35985 is a reply to message #35976] Mon, 15 April 2002 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Most people (98%?) (myself included to a significant degree) form their audio opinions on what they hear others say or write, not what they have heard or experimentally arrive at. That's why you hear some people on these forums tell you to develop your own tastes and hear for yourself what YOU honestly like. Anyway, beyond that, what Wayne and the others have said on the subject is true.........you ain't heard it right, I'd bet.........

Re: Folded horn subs--yuck! [message #35998 is a reply to message #35976] Wed, 17 April 2002 04:12 Go to previous message
Mike is currently offline  Mike
Chancellor
Thanks, people, your comments greatly appreciated. The speakers that really turned me off are EV Eliminator 18" folded cabs. Anybody have experience with them? Thanks again :)
Previous Topic: crossover design... help....
Next Topic: Jasper Jig, Si! ..Porter-Cable, No!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 17:07:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio