Home » Audio » General » Stereo Tube Amp build class in Austin, TX
Stereo Tube Amp build class in Austin, TX [message #3573] Wed, 23 August 2006 18:41 Go to next message
Josh Lasserre is currently offline  Josh Lasserre
Esquire
I’ll be teaching this late summer at the Lonestar School of Music, (www.lonestarschoolofmusic.com) . This class is for those who can only make music by playing a stereo and I think there is a duty to play it as well as possible.

Part of this is to get folks into diy high resolution audio but mostly to get folks closer to listening and enjoying music.

The classes begin on September 7th and will go on for 7 weeks with a different topic each week. Here is a preliminary syllabus:

Week one September 7th- Lee Roitberg “Soldering and Safety”

How not to kill yourself while building this amp

Week two September 14th- Jonathan Edwards “What is a Vacuum Tube”

Jonathan has an incredible collection of tubes, at this session he’ll tell what a tube does

Week three September 21st- Robert Johnson “Time Concept in Music”

Robert is a multi-instrumentalist and will talk about beat and time as he drops the needle of his favorite pieces of vynil

Week four September 28th-Alex Keller “How an audio Recording is Made”

Alex owns and runs a recording studio named Singular Audio which is housed at the school. He’ll take the class through the full recording process

Week five October 5th-John Day “Tweaking the 12G”

This class will focus on strategic tweaks to this little kit that improve the sound.

Week six October 12th-Roe Fleenor “DIY Music Server”

Roe and Lee have been working to put together a high resolution music server which resolves some of the problems associated with conventional music players

Week seven October 19th -UNKNOWN.:

Possible options:

Beyond the Kit-Scratch built amps and what they sound like. Maybe Luther would be interested is showing off his wares

Diy interconnects

Speakers: Anyone up for doing a session on speakers? Basically you can bring your speakers and talk about how they were built and what makes them sound better or worse. This class could also focus on diy interconnects etc. I need help here, anyone? Anyone?

Week eight October 26th- Time for a party and listening session. I’ll make a gumbo and have a veg option too. We’ll get together to listen to music on the 12G, swap construction stories and have a good time, drop the needle on some vinyl etc.

Mainly this is for beginers but all are welcome of course. The kit is $150 and the class after discount is $112 making it $262.00. This will be a fun and educational time. Drop me a line if you're interested. You can register online and get the discount there. Check out the website, it is pretty cool.

Best, Josh Lasserre 512-627-7023

Re: Stereo Tube Amp build class in Austin, TX [message #3574 is a reply to message #3573] Wed, 23 August 2006 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This should be lots of fun. Some of the guys who are doing the sessions are fellow Lone Star Bottleheads and are very knowledgable about audio. It's not completely clear from the posting above, but the kit amp you build is the S5 Electronics stereo amp kit. Here's the link to the amp kit
http://www.s5electronics.com/tube.html

It's 150 miles from my house to Austin, but I'm seriously considering this one.

Re: Stereo Tube Amp build class in Austin, TX [message #3575 is a reply to message #3574] Wed, 23 August 2006 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Tubes? Wires? better not read The Audio Critic. The tube is of no use in audio and wires all sound the same. Maybe try a chip amp.
Seriously I wouldn't mind attending that myself.

Re: Stereo Tube Amp build class in Austin, TX [message #3576 is a reply to message #3574] Wed, 23 August 2006 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh Lasserre is currently offline  Josh Lasserre
Esquire
Drat,

I forgot to post the site! Here is the site where the kit is produced:

http://www.s5electronics.com/tube12.html

check this out, the class will be really great!

Josh

Re: Stereo Tube Amp build class in Austin, TX [message #3577 is a reply to message #3573] Thu, 24 August 2006 17:10 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I wish they had something like this in Amarillo. I would be the first to sign up no more than that costs.

Previous Topic: Lets Allow People To Speak
Next Topic: Ok, here are my thoughts on Peter Aczel and the Audio Critic Mag.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 18:29:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio