Home » Audio » General » Lets Allow People To Speak
Lets Allow People To Speak [message #3555] Tue, 22 August 2006 20:42 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I am always suspicious of those who are so quick to call for others to be silenced. There are times for moderation of posts; but this isn't one of them. Damir used the same language and style Aczel uses. Except Damir has always proved to be honest. Thats the difference between them.

Re: Lets Allow People To Speak [message #3557 is a reply to message #3555] Tue, 22 August 2006 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I agree, but just the bickering, which is what it looks like to me, gets old. I see no reason to provoke people just to hear their opinion on something. I guess I'm just the opposite of a lot of people and could care less what someone else thinks on the majority of things that might be construed as controversial. I used to get in heated debates a lot, but found it a drain of energy, time, and focus.

Re: Lets Allow People To Speak [message #3561 is a reply to message #3555] Tue, 22 August 2006 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Another difference: This is ART. I don't care what Aczel prints in his magazines - Ad hominem attacks aren't allowed here.

This isn't about Damir. He hasn't attacked anyone. That's just not his style. He's playful, sort of like Monty Python. But he doesn't attack anyone, at least not that I can remember.

But this is about personal attacks, which will be silenced. If you feel driven to vent, take it to the Dungeon. Attacks here just aren't allowed. Even if an attack is justified, made in retaliation, whatever. Ad hominem attacks aren't allowed on ART.

Re: Lets Allow People To Speak [message #3563 is a reply to message #3557] Wed, 23 August 2006 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It's funny but exactly what is the debate about? This Aczel guy has printed a magazine for thirty years. He started out with a philosophy of openmindedness and when that field became too crowded he changed his tune; sort of like a flip=flop of position. So whats the debate? You have to be somewhat creditable to even be the focus of a debate. What we have here is a non-debate about nothing; like the old Seinfeld show; A show about nothing. For all you Seinfeld fans.

Re: Lets Allow People To Speak [message #3564 is a reply to message #3561] Wed, 23 August 2006 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; you know what; I guess calling him a complete idiot is an ad hominum attack. I guess it's harder to see things as a violation when you agree than when you disagree with the position.

Re: Lets Allow People To Speak [message #3568 is a reply to message #3563] Wed, 23 August 2006 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I never watched one whole episode of Seinfeld in my life. Wouldn't know.

Re: Lets Allow People To Speak [message #3569 is a reply to message #3564] Wed, 23 August 2006 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I know what you mean, John. There are a small number of charlatans in the industry, and I have a real hard time getting upset when I see them getting taken to the mat. Most of you know who I'm talking about. But I think it's still better to keep things clean here. No sense stooping to their level.

Re: Lets Allow People To Speak [message #3572 is a reply to message #3568] Wed, 23 August 2006 12:16 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
There was an episode where a network executive offered Jerry a pilot on TV. Jerry took his friend George Costanza in as a partner. They went to the initial meeting with the network to discuss the theme of the pilot. George tells the network execs " Get this" ; it is a "Show about nothing". They look perplexed so he continues. A show about nothing; like what people do everyday.
So they give them the show. Thats what the whole Seinfeld show was about; nothing. Best comedy show ever made. I turned my son on to it and he watches it every night twice a night. Once at 11 and once at 1130. Him and his friends can quote whole show dialogues word for word now.

Previous Topic: Smoothing the waters
Next Topic: Stereo Tube Amp build class in Austin, TX
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 05:07:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout