Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Bug screens
Bug screens [message #35637] Fri, 22 March 2002 07:55 Go to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
I've read somewhere recently on the advantage of removing the screen on the compression drivers as these add some degree of distortion to the sound. I'm looking for other opinions and instructions on how to do this if I do decide to try it.

Thanks!

G.

Re: Bug screens [message #35643 is a reply to message #35637] Fri, 22 March 2002 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't recommend removing bug screens from compression drivers, but then again, it's not a big deal either way. You won't hurt anything by removing them, but on the other hand, you'll won't gain much by removing them either. That's precisely why I don't suggest that you take off your protective screen.

A compression driver has a pretty large exit, and that allows easy entrance for particulate. Once something is in there, it isn't going to come out naturally - It's like putting something in a bottle; Even worse. There is a large cavity for debris to move around in, and it the shape of this cavity tends to hold it inside. So I am not comfortable having the screens removed.

The JBL 2426 and Eminence PSD2002 have a nylon mesh that could be cut out easily enough. The PSD2002(S) has a metal screen that can be pried out. This metal screen is somewhat troublesome, in that it will become jarred loose all by itself when used in environments that vibrate the device - You know, like loudspeakers. So after a few years, your PSD2002(S) screen is probably loose anyway. I recommend that a "bead" of metal epoxy, like "JB Weld" be run around the rim of the exit, and the screen be pressed into this bead of epoxy, holding it firmly in place.

But if want to take them out, you won't hurt the sound any. Just cut the mesh from a JBL 2426 or Eminence PSD2002. For PSD2002(S), pry out the metal screen with a scribe or similar instrument. If you remove your bug screens, you might want to open up your tweeters every couple of years and vaccuum them clean.

Re: Bug screens [message #35654 is a reply to message #35643] Fri, 22 March 2002 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Brennan is currently offline  Tom Brennan
Baron
Garland---I have lots of JBL and Altec drivers, some with screens and some without, no difference in sound. Here in Illinois the farmers use imported ladybugs for pest control and in rural areas they're ALL over the place sometimes. A friend out in the boonies was considering removing the screens from his JBL 2420s until he noticed a couple of ladybugs crawling down one of his his Edgar "saladbowl" horns toward the driver.
did you try the big amp? [message #35664 is a reply to message #35637] Sat, 23 March 2002 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
I decided to try the 2035 based 4 Pi pro's with the gfa555, rated 200 wpc. With the preamp volume at the 2nd mark, about 9 o'clock rotation, average level was "loud". Dire Straits "On Every Street"...the drum stick strikes have "firecracker" dynamics, almost make you blink. Until you run some horse power into them(the Pi's), you will not truly appreciate how great they can sound. Sam
I cut the screens out... [message #35667 is a reply to message #35637] Sat, 23 March 2002 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
...and noticed a distinct increase in the high freq's and "air". Really almost too much. Sounds just right with the grill cloth I have over the drivers.(I had been doing all my serious listening with the grill frames removed.) Looking at the screens after they were removed showed one to have the holes in the screen almost totally filled with some kind of damping material while the other one was only partially filled. I'm guessing that Eminence treats the screens to control the transfer of sound. Haven't really listened enough to make any kind of recommendation.

G.

Amen [message #35675 is a reply to message #35664] Mon, 25 March 2002 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
course, once I'll build these, I'll need something big to drive em. hmm... anybody selling a nice 300wpc amp for like $100? heh
Re: I think the larger amp stays class A longer [message #35676 is a reply to message #35675] Mon, 25 March 2002 05:39 Go to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
due to it's inherantly higher idle current. My "baby" 60 wpc has only 4 output devices per channel and idles at 6.2 watts dissipation, the "big boy" has 8 and idles at 12.8 watts. I doubt either one is generating AB xover notch distortion at normal listening levels...the devices would have to be driven hard enough to reach cutoff first. Clean, neutral amplification is all I want, being dead silent regarding hum is nice too.
And the MAC-240 is still upside down on my workbench, going on a couple of months now, waiting for a "current inrush limiter" to materialize so I can start rebuilding the HV p/s filters :( Sam
Previous Topic: cheap skate amp award?
Next Topic: Re: I have an opportunity to pick up 4 of Celestion 12-150 Powercells
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 12:58:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio