Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater 4Pi's rockin tha house
Theater 4Pi's rockin tha house [message #35521] Sat, 16 March 2002 22:19 Go to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Mine are now pretty much done. I say pretty much because I have a horn lens substitution sitting on top of the box and some CH3 sized MDF pieces mounted on the cabinet face to keep the air in. (and don't you know how much air is moving in there) I should have real live CH3's next week and then I will post some pictures. I have had the components for four days and while waiting for horns and have been running them while I go to work so they relax a bit. I decided to mount the compression driver to some old 800Hz mid horns to see what would happen. Wow! these really do sound good even with the long throw mid horn. I cannot wait to hear them without the sniper rifle presentation and weird top octave peaks of the long throw horn. I am hyped. I don't even know what I am in for with the right horn and I can already say that Wayne is a relatively modest man.

Thanks Wayne (and those who have posted all of these great informational nuggets here. I am sure it helped make my ride a lot smoother)

Super! Can't wait to see 'em! [message #35527 is a reply to message #35521] Sun, 17 March 2002 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Congratulations!

I'm anxious to see your speakers. What amplifier are you using?

Adcom GFA5400 [message #35529 is a reply to message #35527] Sun, 17 March 2002 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Nothing too fancy, but I can say it mates really well to these speakers. These amps run class A for just a few watts, which never mattered with Acoustats, but it sure sounds sweet with these. For cranking I am finding 125W/Channel will get scary loud in my house. They could also get cops knockin on your door if you wanted to piss off the neighbors. [devil grin]
Later,
Thomas
Re: Adcom GFA5400 [message #35530 is a reply to message #35529] Sun, 17 March 2002 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's a very good combination. Most of the time, you'll be running less than one watt, so being class A for the first few is really great. That gives you the benefits of removing anomalies from zero crossing. But having 100 watts is great too, because you can produce 120dB+ bursts. There's a lot of things that will hit peaks such as these, so having the dynamic range to handle it is nice.
just put my GFA-545 back in service [message #35532 is a reply to message #35529] Sun, 17 March 2002 09:47 Go to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
with the 4 Pi Pro's, effortless power and dynamics. Un-rack mounted, ie sitting on a shelf, it's dead quiet with your ear to the woofer, a slight sshhh from the tweets. Not sure how common the problem is, but mine had lost "bass extension" on just one channel. Replaced the electrolytic cap in the feedback loops, and the problem was solved. Thomas, if you own a DMM, be sure to verify the output device bias settings, adcom bias pots are really inadequate, now that I've had her opened up, I'm ordering "multi-turn" replacement units soon. Sam
Previous Topic: C5 & R3 values - accuracy of driver
Next Topic: cabinet maker screwed up again
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 17:46:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout