Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » pushed in tweeter
pushed in tweeter [message #35419] Sun, 10 March 2002 17:10 Go to next message
Solace is currently offline  Solace
Esquire
Hi,

I just received my speaker in the mail, and the silk dome tweeter looks kinda crumpled and pushed in. Will turning it on possible push it out?

Re: pushed in tweeter [message #35421 is a reply to message #35419] Sun, 10 March 2002 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There is sometimes a support surface under the dome that helps keep this very thing from happening, but it may not be used in your particular driver. You can usually replace the diaphragm and voice coil as a unit, by removing a couple of screws and taking the face plate off. You might try to remove the face plate and push the dome back out from the inside.

But then again, if it's new then you might want to simply return it as a warranty or freight claim item. If the diaphragm is creased permanently, then I would not settle for keeping a damaged unit and would replace it instead. But if it is soft and pliable, so that it can be "popped back out" without any damage, then that is an option you can take.

If neither of these is a solution for you, then I would suggest finding a local speaker repair shop in your area. Anyone who is capable of re-coning a speaker, should also be able to look at your driver and help you decide how best to resolve this problem.

Re: pushed in tweeter [message #35422 is a reply to message #35421] Sun, 10 March 2002 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Sometimes you can get a tweeter to pop out by applying a little suction from a vaccum cleaner. Go easy though.

Cheers,

Steve

Re: pushed in tweeter [message #35427 is a reply to message #35422] Mon, 11 March 2002 06:42 Go to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You can also try it with duct tape.

Another solution is to dab a *tiny* bit of hot melt glue on the end of a needle, let it dry on the dome and then pull. I've fixed some badly crumbled titanium domes like this, but if you apply too much glue, you're in trouble.

As a last, last resort... When all else fails... You can poke a needle into the dome sideways and then pull it out. The tiny hole won't really effect the operation of the tweeter.

Adam

Previous Topic: What are you're views on re-coning,re-foaming
Next Topic: Portable system help please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 13:29:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers