Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What are you're views on re-coning,re-foaming
What are you're views on re-coning,re-foaming [message #35409] Sun, 10 March 2002 07:05 Go to next message
Rudi is currently offline  Rudi
Chancellor
When A loudspeaker driver cost at least a hundred pounds or more,
instead of throwning the driver away and get a new one; you can have it re-coned.Which costs less than buying a new one. Using the same magnet,frame,terminals.

Just replacing the cone,dustcap,surround,voice coil,voice coil former,dampener. And sometimes re-magnetising the magnet,if the voice coil has de-magnetsied it when it blew.

Re-foaming or re-rubbering a speaker.Can be done to old vintage or
any old speaker where the foam has rotted,only if this is just the problem and it's worth the hassle and money.

So example,you can re-foam an old vintage speaker which is rare to get hold of,and costs you much less than buying another new loudspeaker of the actual specs the damaged on had.

Works for me! [message #35414 is a reply to message #35409] Sun, 10 March 2002 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
Hello

I have refoamed 3 sets of drivers and they sound just fine. I got foam kits for the specific drivers and all seams well. I think its a good option if the foam was the only problem. Agreed that recone is about 1/2 the cost of new but that is not really true depending on the drivers. Some of the recone kits are more expensive than you can E-Bay the drivers for. An example are LE-14A's. I got a mint pair for 125+50 shipping so $175 for the pair. That is the cost of a single recone! You really have to shop around and with many drivers recone is not an option. Not everyone has the depth of support for their drivers like JBL or Altec. Just try to get a replacement Infinity Driver for a 1970's-80's system, Good Luck!

Forum [message #35420 is a reply to message #35409] Sun, 10 March 2002 17:50 Go to previous message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Most drivers can be repaired easily. I'm assuming that you only need to replace surrounds. You only need common around the house type tools. My favorite supplier is www.decware.com They sell very high quality stuff at reasonable prices. They also provide an online tutorial for surround repair. Highly recommended. BTW, they are the manufacturers of the well regarded tube Zen amps.

Take care,

Steve

Previous Topic: Wayne, suggestions for Pi rears/ nearfield monitors.
Next Topic: pushed in tweeter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 14:31:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout