Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Photo's of My Theater 4 Pi's
Photo's of My Theater 4 Pi's [message #35325] Tue, 05 March 2002 17:50 Go to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
I finally got the photo's of the 4 Pi's. Like they say:" the Theater 4's are large!" But I love them. Still breaking in a bit as are the Paramour amps with only ten hours or so on them both. I'll post a review after a suitable settling in period.

The Speakers are built of 3/4" Baltic birch ply front,back and top panels. The rest of the panels are 3/4" MDF. The front panel also has a layer of 1/2" MDF surrounding the woofer and running up the sides to form the U shape. The cut out piece of this panel went to form the grill cloth frame. These frames will be ultimately attached to the cabinets with heavy duty Velcro or possibly ball and socket gizmo's. The veneer is paper backed cherry applied with contact cement. I used two cross braces front to back just above and below the woofers. I also threaded a 5/16" threaded rod through T-nuts in the back panel to a maple plate attached to the back of the woofer magnets which applies adjustable pressure on the woofer basket to tune out some possible resonance from the pressed steel basket. The maple plate/block has slots to allow for ventilation of the vent in the rear of the woofer. The crossover is mounted in a suspended plywood box on the rear of the cabinets for tweeking and the speakers are wired with Cardas litz 17 awg hook up wire. All parts came from The Parts Connection. I used the Eminence H290 horn with which I had some problems with getting the screws installed into the drivers. I had to dremel out some of the plastic to allow the screws to align with the holes in the driver. I also added a 1/4" spacing plate behind the mounting flange of the horn to bring it's face out flush with the outer face of the cabinet and the grill frame.It sits just touching the back of the grill cloth.A 1 1/2" vertical ring of maple, recessed, forms a riser on the base of the cabinets to help with the appearance.

Assembly went smoothly though I was working only during my lunch breaks and only a couple of evenings so it took a while. And getting them home was a treat as you guys know who've had to move them!

The best part (other than listening) is that my wife really likes them visually and sonically and although they are really too large aesthetically for my 12 x18 listening/family room I get to keep them there!

Lastly, I want to thank Wayne for his supreme generosity and design skills in making these great speakers available to us mere mortals at the best price imaginable. Kudos to you!!!

Garland

Spectacular! [message #35326 is a reply to message #35325] Tue, 05 March 2002 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The veneer work is just first rate.
And of course they sound unique, don't they?

Yikes! [message #35327 is a reply to message #35325] Tue, 05 March 2002 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
These are good looking! Really good looking. Great job.
I'm impressed!!!!!! [message #35328 is a reply to message #35325] Tue, 05 March 2002 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
great job!
Kelly
My, oh my!!! [message #35330 is a reply to message #35325] Tue, 05 March 2002 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those are beautiful speakers. Stunning!
Woohoo! Nice job. [message #35331 is a reply to message #35325] Wed, 06 March 2002 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
Those things look great! And that Foreplay... that thing's just beautiful. I must say that it's really great to see everyone's different interpretation of what Wayne's designs can look like. I'm really excited to finish mine up and show them off to the world. Seeing these things has given me renewed zeal. Thanks for the great pics.

Kevin

well done! wanna sell'em?(nt) [message #35332 is a reply to message #35325] Wed, 06 March 2002 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
nt
Re: Photo's of My Theater 4 Pi's [message #35333 is a reply to message #35325] Wed, 06 March 2002 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TOttman2 is currently offline  TOttman2
Chancellor
Your PI speakers and the Foreplay are real treat for the eye. Great job I hope mine come out as good. What do your Paramours look like?

Thanks for great pics...

It's gonna make me take my time do my best too.

Tom

too nice, now I have to think [message #35334 is a reply to message #35325] Wed, 06 March 2002 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
about how high you guys "are setting the bar" appearance wise. The last couple, including these, are "gold medal" beautiful. Till...I'm still rubbing in more oil. Garland, outstanding job, I'll bet the guys at work were sorry to see you cart them home! Sam
Re: Photo's of My Theater 4 Pi's [message #35336 is a reply to message #35325] Wed, 06 March 2002 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Ah... now we know what all the waiting was for.
premium job, very nicely done.

Bill

Previous Topic: Collection of Pi Pictures
Next Topic: Horns for Theater 4Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 13:55:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers