Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » horn cutting adventure, murphy helped too!
horn cutting adventure, murphy helped too! [message #35290] Sat, 02 March 2002 05:35 Go to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
With the H-290/PSD2002's subbing for the pair of 511's atop the 4648a-8's, the 511's were in the way on the floor. Yesterday was the last sale day for a recip. saw, so I decided, how hard can it be, just 6 cuts, about a few inches long,haha, thru aluminum...should be easy.

While picking up the saw, I discovered the sander, which had been smelling like burnt rubber, was still in warranty, so another trip ensued. Finally, ready to cut.

Wife said it sounded like I was gutting a Lexus out back:) Saw came with 2 metal blades...broke the first on about the third cut.

You see, once the blade passed thru the first cut, the metal snapped closed behind the blade like a mousetrap, went "snap", and the cut was closed up. I then realized, no, not 6 cuts, 12.

With the 2nd and only remaining metal blade, I did the last 9 cuts...except the final half inch of the last cut..."sprangg!", the blade snapped off. Then I remembered the adjustable foot was out...moved it in, and finished with the 1 inch long stub of the blade.

I hope once the cuts are refilled with rtv, they will be as quiet as the other pair I have that came cut from altec. Before being cut, they would literally ring for a couple of seconds when struck, the oem cut pair was dead when struck. Oh yeah, collectors have no fear...the pair I cut had no labels, and needed new paint...I plan to get them "hot tanked", and looking like an aluminum four barrel carb manifold casting. Then have the rear areas sprayed with truck bed liner. Now you know why eminence, et, all make horns from abs these days. and wood. wife finally confessed the new horns, H-290's, "looked too small". :) Sam

Jet Hot [message #35297 is a reply to message #35290] Sun, 03 March 2002 00:03 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Have you tried the sterling finish from "Jet Hot?" It's a little expensive, and it's really intended for high heat applications. But it looks great and is extremely durable. It will resist wear and impacts as well as it resists heat, and it looks just like polished aluminum. They also have black, gray and blue coatings, which look more like anodized or powder coat finishes. It's a great coating.
Previous Topic: VERY easy CH-3 question
Next Topic: rc network with active crossover?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 07:18:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio