Home » Audio » General » Got the Sound Practices Archive Cd
Got the Sound Practices Archive Cd [message #3517] Sat, 19 August 2006 06:14 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
From Joe. Thanks for the recommendation Colin. Read the first few articles of the first issue and I can tell I am going to enjoy it!
thanks for the recommendation!
-akhilesh

Re: Got the Sound Practices Archive Cd [message #3518 is a reply to message #3517] Sat, 19 August 2006 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Reimer is currently offline  Bob Reimer
Esquire
How does one get this?

Bob

Re: Got the Sound Practices Archive Cd [message #3519 is a reply to message #3518] Sat, 19 August 2006 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Bob,
Email Joe at
jroberts@io.com

he charged me $27 shipped (a small discount I believe). He is the editor of SP.
tell him akhilesh sent you.
-akhilesh

Re: Got the Sound Practices Archive Cd [message #3520 is a reply to message #3518] Sat, 19 August 2006 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Or you can subscribe to the joelist and get the CD and all the news from the old joe guys. Joe is a great guy; even after he stopped publishing to go into archeology phd program he still honored all his subscriptions. Now he is an audio guy who has his head on straight. That will be the best perspective on audio you will find.

Still honored all of his subscriptions???? [message #3521 is a reply to message #3520] Sat, 19 August 2006 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Not mine!
Nor, many , many others who I have spoken to.
Norris

Re: Still honored all of his subscriptions???? [message #3522 is a reply to message #3521] Sat, 19 August 2006 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Oh; O'kay I got mine. There was a point before he cleared out when he offered some kind of restitution if I remmember correctly. It is easy enough to find out; he is a very accessable guy.

Re: Still honored all of his subscriptions???? [message #3524 is a reply to message #3522] Sat, 19 August 2006 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Manualblock,
Please don't take me wrong. I have nothing but admiration for what Joe had done with the Sound Practices magazine.
It opened up a whole new world of audio playback equipment to me. Topologies that were not widely known in the USA at the time, especially looking from a Stereophile prospective.
I have learned many things from all of the great people who authored the articles and designs presented through Joe's magazine.
It had influenced me to go on a quest to learn more about those strange horn speakers and low powered SET amplifiers. I can contribute in part, some of my audio neurosis directly from the pages of Sound Practices.
I only wish that Joe had not fallen on lean times of trying to produce a small circulation print magazine at the time. This had to be rough, and I am sure devastated Joe when the magazine was underfunded through subscriptions, and had to stop circulation.
But, there are some facts that my have been forgotten. And they are, many people did not recieve any compensation for their subscription that never arived.
My only beef in the whole situation was, that I never heard any explanation of what happened. Joe seemed to disapear for a while. Only to reapear a few years later as selling high end Japanese lust audio equipment.
I, with many people were not hurt by loosing the $25. But felt like an explanation was in order. And to this day, I have not heard one, nor have I recieved a refund.
But, regardless, I hope Joe all of the best in anything that he does. I believe that he a good person and did nothing wrong.
And I feel the demise of Sound Practices was out of his control.
Hopefully someone will pick up where he left off. And continue what he set out to accomplish for the DIY audio community.
Norris

Re: Got the Sound Practices Archive Cd [message #3525 is a reply to message #3518] Sun, 20 August 2006 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I thought I got mine from Old Colony.

Re: Still honored all of his subscriptions???? [message #3526 is a reply to message #3524] Sun, 20 August 2006 09:54 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Actually I don't know Joe personally but I did spend quite a few hours BS'ing on the phone on several occasions. He had a baby right about that time and his wife insisted he get a job and make money. He applied to the Archeology PHD program and tried selling audio to keep his hand in the pot. He is a stand-up guy as far as I know; and I know you mean't nothing bad with your post; thats why I suggested you contact him and see if he would make it right.
To digress let me say he was instrumental in reviving HI FI for a lot of us since the hot-shot pro designers with their expensive measuring tools had reduced audio to a flat sounding no life; unappealing unmusical irritating sound imperitive that made you want to go out and mow the lawn rather than be forced to listen to all that perfect measuring lousey sounding "Audio" gear.
But thats a post for the "Audio Critic Crowd".

Previous Topic: Sound Practices versus The Audio Critic: My view
Next Topic: free audio video converter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 23:45:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout