Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » building 3 way system with jbl 4655
building 3 way system with jbl 4655 [message #35118] Wed, 13 February 2002 05:48 Go to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi gang, thinking about building a 3 way speaker using components from one of the pairs of jbl 4655's acquired from the tent sale. the jbl 4655's (2 way 15" with 2416 compression horn have useable response down to about 80hz) would be used as the mids and highs. i'd like to implement a pair of 18" drivers to cover the lower 2 octaves, and build new cabinets for the 3 drivers. i don't see any emininence product which is tuned for the lower 2 octaves, any suggestions? any thoughts on how this would sound? i would then tri-amp this set-up using a 3-way x-over. i've seen other drivers suited for the lower bass but none which are still hi-efficiency.

cheers,

george

Re: building 3 way system with jbl 4655 [message #35119 is a reply to message #35118] Wed, 13 February 2002 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
Well I am doing a similar thing right now. The exception is I run the 4655 full range and use LE-14a's in 4cu. Ft cabinets as stereo subs. I have used the roll off in my reciever to limit the bass into the 4655's but I think it sounds better with the 4655 full range and the subs blended in around 80hz or so. I considered 18 drivers from the tent sale but they need too big a box without some EQ. My 4655 sit right on top of my subs and this puts the horn right at the proper height. The Le14's are also driven by subwoofer plate amps so I can adjust level, phase, and crossover frequency. This gives me alot of flexibility and really lets you be able to dial them in to blend with the mains. This combination sounds very good in my room and gives me usable response to 25hz in my room. I personnaly chose this route because it cave me the most flexabillity and the abillity to change my mains and still be able to blend the subs without trashing some rather large and expensive custom cabinets if I went with and all in one speaker with the 18's in the same cabinet. What ever you decide have fun!

I'm with Robert; [message #35120 is a reply to message #35119] Wed, 13 February 2002 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
leave the 4655's in their cabinet and add subs; unless that takes the fun out of the project!!
Re: building 3 way system with jbl 4655 [message #35121 is a reply to message #35119] Wed, 13 February 2002 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
thanks, that sounds like a good way to go, maybe i'll just build nicer cabinets for the 4655's. who makes the LE14's and what size are they?

cheers,

george

Re: building 3 way system with jbl 4655 [message #35122 is a reply to message #35121] Wed, 13 February 2002 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
Hi George

They are old vintage alnico 14" JBL drivers. I choose them because I am a vintage JBL nut and I am a sucker for 4" edgewound voice coils! They also would give me good bass response in a smaller box. My original premise was an honest to god 30Hz. They are tunned with -3db @ 32Hz and -6@ 30HZ with no room gain or boost from the subwoofer amps. You can still get LE14H which would be better with lower fs and higher x-max as a closeout at Speakercity. They are less sensitive than the LE14A'S at 91 as oppossed to 93 for the older driver. I was originally concerned with them keeping up with the 4655 because of the 100db 1 watt sensitivity. There was no problem at all at any tolerable listenning levels. Just get a copy of Win ISD or download what Wayne has at the Pi website. He has Box Plot and Pi Align and lots of other great stuff if you have not been to his site. Just figure out how big a cabinet you can build and start trying the drivers in the preloaded driver libraries and go from there.

Re: I'm with Robert; [message #35124 is a reply to message #35120] Wed, 13 February 2002 09:21 Go to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree as well. You could build a pair and try a sub/satelite operation, but if you can't get the integration you can stack them as well.

However, I'll reaffirm my stance that you won't get a two 'bottom two octave' subwoofer out of most any pro driver in a reasonably sized box for a house. I would consider a different type of woofer perhaps, despite the probably decrease in sensitivity.

Adam

Previous Topic: "Pi Pad" implemented with series xover
Next Topic: i'm thinking of bidding on these big ass horns!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 01:19:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio