Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » More active crossover questions
More active crossover questions [message #35096] Tue, 12 February 2002 07:59 Go to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Replay has me thinking. I have an active 4th order x-over and 2 Adcom gfa 5400 amps. Would it be best to run theater 4 Pi's without the passive network? This is probably a no brainer, but my concerns are...

How will the Delta 15 sound without a zobel?

It makes sense that nothing between amp and driver is technically best. I do wonder though, will this compromise the Pi sound with respect to tonal balance?

Adcom amps thump at power up. will this thrash the compression driver without a cap inline?

I do not doubt what Wayne says on this subject, but I also know a lot of what makes a thing "best" is situation dependant.

Re: More active crossover answers [message #35109 is a reply to message #35096] Tue, 12 February 2002 16:14 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If there are no reactive components between the amp and the speaker motor, there is no need for a Zobel. Its purpose is to damp the electrical filter formed by the crossover components and the motor itself. A compression horn tweeter will need augmentation of the top octave though, so you'll want to EQ somewhere in the signal path. You can provide EQ in the low-level preamp circuits instead of at the speaker outputs. Be careful of using amps that thump at power-up. They'll trash a compression driver unless you add a protective capacitor. Just use a relatively large value to block DC. I'd probably also place a non-inductive shunt resistor, something between 1.5x and 2.0x Re across the driver for good measure.
Previous Topic: true readings of power,and false readings
Next Topic: tweeter compensation in active set-up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 22:05:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout