Home » Audio » General » STRONGLY RECOMMEND
Re: Adire HE10.1 in AudioXpress [message #3503 is a reply to message #3499] Wed, 16 August 2006 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

So the response curve with the spiked dip was in the magazine? You guys will have to forgive me, I can't check this out for myself right now. I don't have any of my copies of AudioXpress here with me, I'm actually working in Austin.

Re: Adire HE10.1 in AudioXpress [message #3505 is a reply to message #3503] Thu, 17 August 2006 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes they publish all the test results.

Re: Adire HE10.1 in AudioXpress [message #3506 is a reply to message #3505] Thu, 17 August 2006 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

OK, that's what I thought I remembered. That's a huge difference, John. If I saw that kind of spiked dip in loudspeaker sent to me, I'd conclude that the crossover was flawed because summing caused cancellation. So it is an unfortunate mistake to have sent the loudspeaker in this condition, but accurate reporting nonetheless.

Re: Adire HE10.1 in AudioXpress [message #3507 is a reply to message #3506] Thu, 17 August 2006 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Don't you think after 30 yrs of doing this kind of testing you would recognise the existance of a problem and mention that to the manufacturer before reviewing the speaker and giving it a negative review?

Re: Adire HE10.1 in AudioXpress [message #3508 is a reply to message #3507] Thu, 17 August 2006 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Actually, after 30 years experience with loudspeakers, I know to expect many of them to be flawed in exactly this way. As an example, one fairly well known audio manufacturer produced a speaker with a tell-tale spiked 15dB dip in the crossover region. I noticed it and mentioned that it had an obvious crossover summing problem, but instead of acknowledging it, the manufacturer made excuses and tried to cover it up. Ironically, the main marketing feature of this particular loudspeaker was its "time aligned" crossover.

Poor instructions [message #3509 is a reply to message #3507] Thu, 17 August 2006 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The point of the negative review was that the AVERAGE builder would not have been able to measure the response curve; this was stated in a rather terse tone by the reviewer.

Re: Adire HE10.1 in AudioXpress [message #3511 is a reply to message #3508] Fri, 18 August 2006 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The excuse that as Colin puts it the "Average Reader" could not be expected to determine the problem is disengenous to me. Why have reviews if the expertise of the reviewer is not involved or considered?

Re: Excuse me [message #3514 is a reply to message #3511] Fri, 18 August 2006 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I see upon re-reading this mught look like I disagree with Colin when in fact he only stated what Mr D'Appollito said in the magazine. My comments were directed to Mr D's statements.

Re: Excuse me [message #3515 is a reply to message #3514] Fri, 18 August 2006 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll have to re-read the article to be sure of what was said. I remember all the controversy, but that's been years ago. As I recall, the article had a response curve showing a spiked dip and it was pretty bad. Adire later explained that the crossover was mislabeled, and this would cause builders to connect the tweeter 180° out of phase. That's what made the system have the spiked dip. The fix was simple as long as you knew to do it.

What would you have done? [message #3516 is a reply to message #3511] Fri, 18 August 2006 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The reviewer found a problem with the kit. In my opinion the reviewer called it like he saw it: there was as mistake in the instructions (or possibly in the speaker's manufacturing process.) Should he have contacted Adire before the review was published? The reviewer was building the kit and made comments from the amateur builder's perspective.

Previous Topic: Rocks in your subwoofer
Next Topic: My view on the Ten Biggest Lies.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:45:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio