Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Has anyone here tried cast-frame Eminence Kappa Pro 15-LF?
Has anyone here tried cast-frame Eminence Kappa Pro 15-LF? [message #35023] Thu, 07 February 2002 19:44 Go to next message
freddyi is currently offline  freddyi
Baron
Hi Wayne and guys!

am looking for a clean-sounding 15" Eminence to work in a mod-Karlson up to ~1.2Khz - does Kappa Pro 15LF sound any 'cleaner' than cast-frame Delta Pro 15? - does it have about the same on-axis HF rise as Delta-Pro 15? - graphs don't look like they're taken under same conditions

Very Best Wishes!
Freddy

Re: Has anyone here tried cast-frame Eminence Kappa Pro 15-LF? [message #35025 is a reply to message #35023] Thu, 07 February 2002 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wouldn't consider a difference. the Kappa 15lfa is the best of the kappa line hands down for most applications.

As for the frequency rise... I have found that most eminence woofers exhibit that rise as most of them seem to use similar cones and such.

Adam

Re: Has anyone here tried cast-frame Eminence Kappa Pro 15-LF? [message #35026 is a reply to message #35023] Thu, 07 February 2002 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
One of my favorite Eminence 15" drivers is the Omega 15. The Kilomax 15 is a good driver too, very robust at higher sustained drive levels. And the Delta 15 is really great for the price. Those are my favorites 15" drivers from Eminence.

From an overall price/performance perspective, the Omega 15 is good because it sounds clean and doesn't cost much. Works great in 2ft3 to 6ft3 cabinets. The Delta 15 sounds nice too, but needs a larger box. For extended high-power levels, go with the Kilomax 15 which works in the same cabinet as the Omega 15.

Re: Has anyone here tried cast-frame Eminence Kappa Pro 15-LF? [message #35033 is a reply to message #35026] Fri, 08 February 2002 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hey Wayne

sure appreciate your input! (how do you answer all this stuff?? - yeah I know - you're just a pup with energy to burn).

Very Best!
Freddy

Re: Has anyone here tried cast-frame Eminence Kappa Pro 15-LF? [message #35035 is a reply to message #35025] Fri, 08 February 2002 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hey Adam

sounds like cast-frame Kappa Pro 15LF is a winner soundwise and boxsizewise.

for a Karlson box with 20- 30 degree baffle tilt from vertical, I need some HF on-axis rise to get it flat sounding with 1.2-1.3Khz xover - woofers without this rise don't sound good in a Karlson with high xover.

from your ezperience would you say Kappa Pro 15LF has about same rise in 1-3Khz area as cast-frame Delta-Pro? - also - does Kappa Pro 15LF sound "cleaner" than most other Eminence? - Delta Pro has a 'warm-thick'/nasal tone - can hear it on bass guitar or in hi-fi use - Dayton 295-070 (now deleted) was similar but without much HF - it needs to be used 3-way - maybe 400Hz xover.

Freddy

ps - Eminence's older 95oz magnet cast-frame coax when higher than cast frame Delta-Pro 15 - could squeak out ~4Khz - pretty much like EV15L - wish they made that one with round horn insert - it was a good woofer - rectangular horn kinda rough

Re: Has anyone here tried cast-frame Eminence Kappa Pro 15-LF? [message #35037 is a reply to message #35035] Fri, 08 February 2002 08:25 Go to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Fred,

As far as I know, the Kappas (and most other eminence woofers for that matter) do exhibit a rise in that frequency range. In fact, that's what Wayne's horn is designed to compensate for by lifting the bass and lower midrange band and then it stops providing an effeciency increase right around the point where the woofer's response starts to rise a bit. The result is a pretty flat response.

I would expect similar results in the upper frequencies between the kappa and the kappa pro. The reason why I chose the former (non-cast frame) was because it had a lower resonance and longer xmax, which better suited the needs of my system.

The Kappa Pro will probably sound a little better, but will become nonlinear before the non-cast frame lfa and won't play as deep. So it's a trade based on what you want. Either woofer will perform nicely up to about 1.5 kHz with a 2nd or 3rd order xover... I wouldn't run them higher then that.

Adam

Previous Topic: Bass? We don't need no stinking bass!
Next Topic: Have any of you tried the FANE colossus 15 or 18 inch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 02:11:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout