Home » Audio » General » STRONGLY RECOMMEND
Re: Ahh what the hell, here is the POST [message #3492 is a reply to message #3488] Wed, 16 August 2006 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry for the trouble you had referencing the post on the Asylum. We didn't do the Taco Bell redirection - that's done by Audio Asylum.

Adire HE10.1 in AudioXpress [message #3493 is a reply to message #3483] Wed, 16 August 2006 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll check the back issues and see, but as I recall the measurements clearly showed the tell-tale spiked dip you would expect from summing two out-of-phase sound sources. If I remember correctly, the problem was that this was reported in the magazine. The ugly response curve was shown in print. Adire explained the anomaly in the response curve by saying that the tweeter was connected out-of-phase, and discovered that the problem was their crossovers were mislabeled, so they were sent to AudioXpress that way. Adire was able to explain the problem to everyone's satisfaction in messageboards and what-not, but the ugly response curve had already been committed to ink in the AudioXpress magazine article.

Re: Adire HE10.1 in AudioXpress [message #3494 is a reply to message #3493] Wed, 16 August 2006 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have the mag. There never was any mention of a possible cause of the spike or dip in the response by Mr. D'Appollito. Just a negative review. I don't want to have to re-type the response. If you are interested you can read it at your leisure.
I stand by my intial point. After 30 yrs in the business he should have had some insight into the cause of the spike.

Re: Here is the post [message #3495 is a reply to message #3490] Wed, 16 August 2006 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sorry; wrong review. I did read it many many yrs ago. Unfortunately I don't save magazines for twenty five yrs or more.
Good luck with your subscriptions all; you'll need it.
Oh; and does anyone think that for such a minor transgression as some are making this out to be that the man would have stopped publishing entirely for 25 yrs and left the business?
I don't know; maybe his feelings were hurt; but I would find it hard to bellieve a man would surrender his whole business for the little mis-statement the poster is claiming.
Can I say I told you so in a couple months; or would that be sour grapes?

Re: Here is the post [message #3496 is a reply to message #3495] Wed, 16 August 2006 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't have a subscription, but I did buy the back issues.

If I had purchased a subscription and then publication stopped immediately afterwards, I'd feel pretty cheated. That's what VTV did, and I think it stinks.

Re: Adire HE10.1 in AudioXpress [message #3497 is a reply to message #3494] Wed, 16 August 2006 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Gotcha. I'll check out the magazine when I can. I remember the controversy a few years ago, and I remember seeing the response curve in question. Must have seen it in forum posts and assumed it was also in the magazine.

Re: Adire HE10.1 in AudioXpress [message #3499 is a reply to message #3497] Wed, 16 August 2006 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
It was in the magazine article.

Re: Here is the post [message #3500 is a reply to message #3496] Wed, 16 August 2006 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I agree. The other aspect of this is the dated nature of all the material. People are paying for info that is free all over the net and much of which has been repeated ad nauseum in hundreds of magazine and net articles. Lots of money for not much value.
In the case of Aczel why not just purchase back-issues of Stereo Review. Julian Hirsch said everything Axzel said before he did.

Re: Here is the post [message #3501 is a reply to message #3490] Wed, 16 August 2006 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Welcome, Wayne.
I think that is precisely what happened, more so since all these reviewers/critics/audiophiles that bash Aczel on the basis of his "egregious" review never actually reproduce the review.
Just defame him on the basis of innuendo.

Why does he not say anything in his defense?
1. HE is 80 and probably has not cared for a while.
Flks who read his stuff will know he does not habitate what he calls the "toilet walls" of the internet!

I think this gives all the more fodder to the sheep who basically repeat the mantra they have been handed down, with no basis in truth.

Just my perspective on this.
-akhilesh

Re: Ahh what the hell, here is the POST [message #3502 is a reply to message #3492] Wed, 16 August 2006 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
know. I forgot abt providing links to aa.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Rocks in your subwoofer
Next Topic: My view on the Ten Biggest Lies.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 11:02:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio