Home » Audio » General » STRONGLY RECOMMEND
Re: Peter Aczel's side of the story [message #3482 is a reply to message #3481] Tue, 15 August 2006 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think AudioXpress is a highly credible publication. They tend to quote facts, and go light on the subjective stuff. Lots of projects and DIY articles too.

Re: Peter Aczel's side of the story [message #3483 is a reply to message #3482] Wed, 16 August 2006 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The Adire review Colin mentions was done by D'Appolitto; who did extensive high level testing of the speaker using MLSSA and other high resolution tests; and after all that and a thorough listening test; the guy still could not tell that the tweeter on one of the speakers was wired out of phase. They just kept mentioning a odd sort of disconnect with the sound. So much for the opinion of experts.
When he was brought to task for his inability to recognise a simple mis-wire after thirty years of speaker work he claimed that he has to review them the way they are presented to him. He can't go in and check xovers to see if they are wired correctly. A cop-out if you ask me. All he had to do was ask the company if the review sample was faulty.
Never trust anything but your ears.

Re: Peter Aczel's side of the story [message #3484 is a reply to message #3480] Wed, 16 August 2006 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Don't make this Aczel thing out to be something between me and his magazine. I had nothing to do with the event in question. It is a well known fact that most people who follow audio for the past twenty years are aware of. If you like the guys style thats fine; but his integrity is suspect no question and so are the people he hires to work with him.
His views have changed dramatically over the years regarding whether amplifiers and such affect the sound. That kind of waffling indicates a lack of credibility to me at least. But hey; the guy needs some retirement money; so help him out and buy a subscription; but keep in mind he has already lost one of his licenses to print due to uneven schedule issues; so don't be surprised when your money is lost.
But that don't even matter since all of that tired old rhetoric has been around for thirty years or more so I am sure you can find articles from the 70's that will say all the same stuff he says.

Re: Peter Aczel's side of the story [message #3485 is a reply to message #3480] Wed, 16 August 2006 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/critics/messages/5094.html

I haven;t actually read the review that manualblock has been touting. THe link above is a post by someone who actually has read thast review.
Apparently it's not even a review.
I find it seriously hard to beleive that someone with the talents of Aczell would ever do anything like that.
-akhilesh

I doubt if any of the Aczel bashers here [message #3486 is a reply to message #3481] Wed, 16 August 2006 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I doubt is any of the people vociferously bashing Mr. Aczel here have actually READ the review they are touting. Based on my web research, itss not even a review. I certainly haven;t read it, and I can;t find anyone reproducing this review.
IF it were so bad, one would expect all these audiophile reviewers who are bashing Aczel to plaster this review all over the internet, right?

Funny how I have never actuyallyt SEEN the review, but have heard a lot of negative INNUENDOs about it, usually from folks who have never read it themselves.
Shows what sheep some audiophools can be and how ciorrupt the whole audiophile game is at many levels.
-akhilesh

Here is the post [message #3487 is a reply to message #3486] Wed, 16 August 2006 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Ahh what the hell, here is the POST [message #3488 is a reply to message #3487] Wed, 16 August 2006 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Her eis the post, reproduced from AA:
There was no "review" in the usual sense of the word. Only the design specifications were actually discussed. The closest thing to what most people would call a review was the concluding statement which I have copied since the issue in question is no longer available.

"In view of our role as godfather to the [speaker]...we've decided not to review it here in the subjective sense. The objectively verifiable design data presented should be sufficient. It's large-signal bass response alone, not to mention its time-domain characteristics make the usual comparisons unnecessary."

Next is a statement admitting that they are using it as one of several speaker references, but they advise that if anyone is really interested they should go hear it themselves when it becomes available.

The magazine did, in their "reference" advice section, state that the Quad/Janus speaker combination was better sounding than the Fourier prototype design; an odd thing for Aczel to say if he was somehow looking to be untruthful about the speaker.

As far as being some ethical violation, I would concur if the magazine had not come out and stated up front what they were doing. I find it no different than when Brock Yates had his creation recently featured in Car and Driver, the magazine he writes for. The article stated up front that the car was a project which might be manufactured for resale, and then it was put through the paces.

Ethical violations happen when people are not honest about their intentions. Now, you may not like what Mr. Aczel prints, but I don't think he was ever not open regarding the speaker. When I first read the piece (many years ago) my thought was, so what? I knew that the market would sort all this out and that it would be pretty clear soon enough regarding his conclusions about the goodness of the speaker.

It;s at:

-akhilesh

Here is the post [message #3489 is a reply to message #3485] Wed, 16 August 2006 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
There was no "review" in the usual sense of the word. Only the design specifications were actually discussed. The closest thing to what most people would call a review was the concluding statement which I have copied since the issue in question is no longer available.

"In view of our role as godfather to the [speaker]...we've decided not to review it here in the subjective sense. The objectively verifiable design data presented should be sufficient. It's large-signal bass response alone, not to mention its time-domain characteristics make the usual comparisons unnecessary."

Next is a statement admitting that they are using it as one of several speaker references, but they advise that if anyone is really interested they should go hear it themselves when it becomes available.

The magazine did, in their "reference" advice section, state that the Quad/Janus speaker combination was better sounding than the Fourier prototype design; an odd thing for Aczel to say if he was somehow looking to be untruthful about the speaker.

As far as being some ethical violation, I would concur if the magazine had not come out and stated up front what they were doing. I find it no different than when Brock Yates had his creation recently featured in Car and Driver, the magazine he writes for. The article stated up front that the car was a project which might be manufactured for resale, and then it was put through the paces.

Ethical violations happen when people are not honest about their intentions. Now, you may not like what Mr. Aczel prints, but I don't think he was ever not open regarding the speaker. When I first read the piece (many years ago) my thought was, so what? I knew that the market would sort all this out and that it would be pretty clear soon enough regarding his conclusions about the goodness of the speaker.

Can be found at:

Re: Here is the post [message #3490 is a reply to message #3489] Wed, 16 August 2006 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thank you very much for putting this into perspective, Akhilesh. If that's what happened, I agree with you that this wasn't a problem at all. It very well could be that Aczel was simply attacked by competing media, and that they repeated a mantra of conspiracy until many people believed it was true.

Speaking of public manipulation [message #3491 is a reply to message #3485] Wed, 16 August 2006 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: Rocks in your subwoofer
Next Topic: My view on the Ten Biggest Lies.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 05:57:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio