Home » Audio » General » Out-of-print Audio mags
Out-of-print Audio mags [message #3462] Sun, 13 August 2006 11:06 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What are some good magazines to pick up. I have VTV, Sound Practices, just ordered Audio Critic and Audiocraft in on my wish list. Just curious what others find valuable......Colin

Re: Out-of-print Audio mags [message #3464 is a reply to message #3462] Sun, 13 August 2006 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have a "tons" of those garbage on the basement, mostly pro/musicians mags, but even some Hi-Fi and electronics oriented...IMO - wasting of time, money and papers - when I look at it from this time distance.
The only doubt now is dump container or fire...

Re: Out-of-print Audio mags [message #3465 is a reply to message #3464] Sun, 13 August 2006 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I felt the same way about audioXpress; they all went away. However, VTV and SP are really well written and informative. As far as the more mainstream rags went (i.e., Audio, Stereo Review, Stereophile) they went in the trash within a couple days of receipt.

Re: Out-of-print Audio mags [message #3473 is a reply to message #3465] Sun, 13 August 2006 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master

I purchased another set of the available issues of "The Audio Critic." IMHO Peter Aczel is perhaps the only member of the audio press, along with his contributors, who isn't a shill of high end audio advertising. His articles are more important for editorial insight, than product review. He does have the respect of acedemics who probably scoff at the typical rags. As he is eighty years old, I wonder how much longer he will continue to write.

Re: Out-of-print Audio mags [message #3474 is a reply to message #3465] Sun, 13 August 2006 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

VTV magazines were well written but I was very disappointed with VTV's business practices. In fact, I was kind of embarrassed because ART had a link to VTV for a while and we talked them up here. It's been over two years since their last issue but that hasn't stopped them from selling subscriptions. I know, 'cause I bought a "quarterly magazine" subscription from them shortly after their last issue, and no others have been sent. Naturally, after a year and a half or so, we took down their logo and website link from the ART website. I just can't support that kind of thing and frankly, I'm surprised to see them still hanging around in the audio business.

Re: Out-of-print Audio mags [message #3475 is a reply to message #3474] Mon, 14 August 2006 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I know what you mean; he has my money for a year's subscription too. However, the issues he published were very good.....Colin

Re: Out-of-print Audio mags [message #3476 is a reply to message #3475] Mon, 14 August 2006 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree, 100%. That made it even more disappointing. Good writers and a lot of potential. Must be bad management; Seems a waste.

Re: Out-of-print Audio mags [message #3477 is a reply to message #3476] Mon, 14 August 2006 19:31 Go to previous message
3moons is currently offline  3moons
Baron
The internet has changed everything, IMO. I sent my money to Sound Practices and they folded. I sent my money to Audiomart and they folded. I sent my money to Audio and they folded (but I got some other mag instead) WOW! I think they just can't "produce" and compete with the free info on the web. Just my thoughts. But I have a lot of old Audio, Stereophile, Glass Audio, etc. that I enjoy reviewing from time to time. jim...

Previous Topic: Pics of Amps
Next Topic: Exact Audio Copy experiment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:00:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout