Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Impedance question for the smart guys
Impedance question for the smart guys [message #34718] Sun, 13 January 2002 03:23 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Okay, we've got the 2226J with an 16 ohm impedance. An 100 watt amp @8 ohms is only going to have 50 watts to the 16 ohm load. So it should be desirable to bring the speakers impedance down to 8 ohms, right?
And putting an 16 ohm resistor across the + and - (in parallel) would give 8 ohms, yes?

So, is it desirable and/or necessary to do so and is it as simple as using a single resistor? I just have to combine enough resistors in series to match the power handling of the speaker?

Re: Impedance question for the smart guys [message #34719 is a reply to message #34718] Sun, 13 January 2002 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi Till,
Just a guess with my limited knowledge, but adding the resistors will just turn power into heat and not really help out that much, and then you'll also be adding more junk in the signal's path.
So how's the 4 Pi's and the Paramours? and have you gotten the zobel on the woofs yet? My 4's are still in the works as are the 'mours. Too much work and not enough time for fun!!!

Garland

Don't you loose 3db in the resistor?? [message #34722 is a reply to message #34718] Sun, 13 January 2002 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
Wouldn't you be loosing the 3DB across the resistor?? I don't see any net gain.
TAANSTAAFL [message #34727 is a reply to message #34718] Sun, 13 January 2002 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
So Newton's third law or Ohm's first or Burke's Law or something cancels out the gain in amp power because the resistor attenuates. Okay. I got that.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Doubling amp power only gives 3db more which the resistors eat.
I was more concerned with damaging the woofer on peaks with a 60 watt into 8 ohms rated amp than about loudness.
So I need to get a cheap 200 watt/channel like an Acurus or NAD for the mains, I think, yes?
Thanks Guys!
Speaker impedance [message #34729 is a reply to message #34718] Sun, 13 January 2002 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It is futile to install a parallel resistor to obtain more power. Whatever extra power is developed is wasted by flowing through the resistor. Sometimes it helps to provide some shunt resistance for increased damping, but it doesn't increase power to the speaker.
Re: TAANSTAAFL [message #34762 is a reply to message #34727] Tue, 15 January 2002 21:06 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi,

I would try your speakers with your lower power amps before you get another. I have used 100 and 300 wpc amps on the JBL 2226 speakers and they are all much more power than needed for home. i'm moving toward bottlehead amps for new fun. but hey, if ya find a nice amp with some watts behind it, why not have a choice of amps as well as choice of music!

Bill

Previous Topic: 1st-timer w/ 4 Pi Questions (kinda long)
Next Topic: initial thoughts on my ten pi's...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:25:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio