Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Question for Wayne
Question for Wayne [message #34700] Sat, 12 January 2002 07:12 Go to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi wayne,

I'm just about ready to seal up the cabinets of my theater 4's and need to pick up the damping fill. You recommended 2" fiberglass insulation. Is this the stuff for home insulation in walls. I've seen it with foil vapor barriers. Is it sold with out? I assume I want it without? I just want to get the right thing. I also have a source for dacron batting in 1" thicknesses. Would two layers be OK and what is your opinion on the acoustic benefits or weaknesses of dacron as compared to the fiberglass? Lastly, would putting a cap of 1/2" wire mesh over the interior ends of the 3.5" ports to keep kid's toys out of the cabinets effect the sonics? Absolutely lastly, would you recommend using t-nuts and machine screws to attach the woofers or are wood screws adaquate? Finaly and absolutely lastly!?! Do you recommend any damping of the plastic/fiber horns for optimum sonics. I've read in the past of people doing all kinds of things to tweak the sound of horns.

Thanks!

Garland

Re: Question for Wayne [message #34707 is a reply to message #34700] Sat, 12 January 2002 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
just received my current issue of audioexpress. there is a good topic dealing with infinite baffle loudspeakers (way above my head). they talk about fiberglass insulation from owens-corning. 700 series product. it seems to have some magical properties.

cheers,

george

Re: Question for Wayne [message #34711 is a reply to message #34700] Sat, 12 January 2002 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
From the Drew Daniels treatise on audioheritage.org
" Please, even if you hate handling fiberglass, don't substitute other absorbing materials for it. Fiberglass is unique in its physical properties and substitutes will not work as well. Just get some long heavy rubber gloves to handle the stuff, and shower off with cool or cold water when you're done."

Things and stuff [message #34741 is a reply to message #34700] Mon, 14 January 2002 15:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
For acoustic damping material, I like to use R11 insulation which is 2" - 3" thick, uncompressed. It often has a paper vapor barrier that I peel off. There are lots of other materials and products that might work but R11 has always worked well for me.

You can put a grille over the port. A mesh or something like that would be just fine so long as it is non-restrictive.

For fasteners, I like T-Nuts for mounting heavy drivers or when serviceability is important. Wood screws are fine for about 20 tightening cycles but after that, the wood is stretched enough to tear through.

Previous Topic: show & tell
Next Topic: 1st-timer w/ 4 Pi Questions (kinda long)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:22:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio