Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Budget SS Amp for Theater 4 Pi?
Budget SS Amp for Theater 4 Pi? [message #34576] Sat, 29 December 2001 06:30 Go to next message
craigha@attbi.com is currently offline  craigha@attbi.com
Chancellor
I would like to plan a home stereo system around the
Theater 4 Pi. I need to pinch my pennies and would
like some advice. What do you recommend for a lower
price stereo power amp to match with the Theater 4 Pi?
Used is great if it is readily available.

Thanks.

Re: Budget SS Amp for Theater 4 Pi? [message #34582 is a reply to message #34576] Sat, 29 December 2001 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've been using the 60 watt front end of my Outlaw A/V receiver until a few hours ago. Yeah, Paramours are on line!
That leads me to believe that you would do well to cruise on over to Audiogon and check the solid state amp listings. There are always several 2-300$ integrated and power amps of good make like Acurus, Cambridge,NAD, etc. Saw a Aragon 4004 recently for about $400. Good luck.
AKSA DIY? [message #34596 is a reply to message #34576] Sun, 30 December 2001 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
craigha@attbi.com is currently offline  craigha@attbi.com
Chancellor
I did a little looking and came across the AKSA kits.
Since I'm into DIY this looks interesting. Has
anyone here tried an AKSA kit amp?

See http://www.printedelectronics.com

Thanks

Re: AKSA DIY? [message #34608 is a reply to message #34596] Sun, 30 December 2001 20:45 Go to previous message
Charlie G is currently offline  Charlie G
Esquire
It's an excellent amp.

Especially now that Hugh has assembled circuit boards available. Be aware that you must deal with mains wiring to complete the amp and aquire the toroid transformers on your own. It would probably be easiest to get all the other parts that are available (capacitors, diodes, etc...) from Hugh.

An amp like that would probably be a good match with a tube preamp, if that's your leaning. Especially something like a Foreplay. Although Hugh will (sometime soon, I think) be offering his own tube preamp.

It doesn't come with super-high-end tweaking parts, but Hugh has a recommended list of things to upgrade. *Especially* make the C1 & C8 substitutions as recommended in the AKSA FAQ as soon as you can afford to. (But listen to the amp with the stock caps first, so you can hear the difference)

It's hard to go wrong with it. Assuming you are comfortable performing the assembly, particularly the mains wiring.

Charlie

Previous Topic: JBLPro e-sale 3677S is tempting
Next Topic: Enter PiAlign numbers in BoxPlot?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 14:42:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio