Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Is it possible to build the 4 Pi's as 16 ohm speakers?
Is it possible to build the 4 Pi's as 16 ohm speakers? [message #34558] Thu, 27 December 2001 19:02 Go to next message
Charlie G is currently offline  Charlie G
Esquire
My next pair of speaker is almost certainly going to be a pair of 4 Pi's. Right now I'll probably go for pretty much the Theater series, with the Delta 15", or perhaps the Stage, w/ the Omega 15" if people consider it to be worth the money.

I'll be using the H290 and PSD2002.

The JBL 2226 is sure tempting though, With that dual 2226J enclosure available from the tent sale. The PSD2002 is available in 16-ohms as well. Also I think there might be some advantages to using 16 ohm output transformers with tube amps. Have you ever looked at this possibility, Wayne?

Thanks much

Charlie

Re: Is it possible to build the 4 Pi's as 16 ohm speakers? [message #34559 is a reply to message #34558] Thu, 27 December 2001 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
To use 16 ohm speakers, the crossover must be changed. The basic crossover should be scaled for a 16 ohm load, and the compensation circuit will have to be modified as well. I invite you to get a copy of Spice and to modify the basic crossover values and manipulate R1, R2 and C1 until you can make a network that provides the proper response curve for a 16 ohm compression driver. Be sure to modify the values for the drivers too to reflect 16 ohm parts instead of 8 ohm. The crossover frequency is high enough you don't have to worry about woofer resonance, but you'll want to change the values for Re and Le.
Re: Is it possible to build the 4 Pi's as 16 ohm speakers? [message #34568 is a reply to message #34559] Fri, 28 December 2001 20:20 Go to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If you're doubling impedance, you should use coils twice as large and caps half as large to get the same xover. Also, the resistors should be twice as large as well. As for the impedance compensations, might be a bit more tricky...

Adam

Previous Topic: Wayne, double loading
Next Topic: Crossover information
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 13:22:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers