Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Comparing 4 PI's
Re: Comparing 4 PI's [message #34187 is a reply to message #34184] Fri, 16 November 2001 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin Fritzke is currently offline  Colin Fritzke
Baron
George,

I'm starting to wonder .... if I should be going with something else for a woofer. I was just looking at the Eminence and Parts Express Websites and NEITHER of them are showing the correct frequency response graph for the Kappa 15LF. The Eminence site shows the Delta 15LF's graph in the Kappa 15LF's spot, while the Parts Express site shows the regular Kappa 15 graph. Doesn't anyone have an actual graph of the performance of this driver? I'm starting to wonder if it is perhaps a little less than pretty...

By the way, who is your dealer? Is it Q-Components? That's where I'd be mail-ordering from. Whatever I do, I probably won't blow the big bucks on the Kilomax 15... I just can't justify it for home use. What can you get the Kappa 15LF's for? How about the Omega 15?

Colin

kilomax 15 [message #34191 is a reply to message #34187] Sat, 17 November 2001 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi colin, q components i believe charges $289.00. the distributor is accusonic. they only sell wholesale so let me know if you are interested. he specializes in job lots and does not have the other models. i bought the kilomax simply because the price was right, plus they look cool.

cheers,

george

Re: kilomax 15 [message #34192 is a reply to message #34191] Sat, 17 November 2001 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Actually, if you're talking about the Kilomax 15 from Q-Components, its $347.85 - which is a big reason why I hadn't even considered it. The Kappa is $173.63. Part of me is also thinking.... that aluminum heat sink does indeed look cool, but I guess I have a hard time swallowing the idea of using this driver well into the midrange when it was designed only for loud bass in extremely high-power PA systems. I'm no expert, but I would think that such a massive heatsink would have a detrimental effect on the midrange performance of this driver, as opposed to another driver with a smaller, more "conventional" dustcap. Believe me, I have read all of your posts on this forum with interest and I really do believe that you've built yourself some pretty amazing sounding (and looking) speakers. I guess I just kinda hope that I might be avoiding some undesirable midrange anomalies by not going with the Kilomax.... but then again, maybe the Kappa 15LFA is no better(?).

Does that heatsink resonate?

Regards,
Colin

Re: kilomax 15 [message #34195 is a reply to message #34192] Sat, 17 November 2001 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
colin, i'm not analytical to my components. i feel you can make yourself hear whatever improvements you believe in. i listen to music and if what i hear stirs my soul then i'm happy, whether my speaker wire is lamp cord or nordost valhalla makes no difference, it's the end result that matters. i'm sure some technoid could measure the effects of the heatsink but i can't hear them, and that's whats important.

colin, i'm sure you'll enjoy whichever pi's you build, just build'em quick, because i know what you're missing.

cheers,

george

Re: kilomax 15 [message #34199 is a reply to message #34195] Sat, 17 November 2001 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
George,

I hope you didn't take my previous post as an insult... I certainly meant no offense by it! I honestly wish I could hear your speakers, but I live in Calgary so I can't see that happening anytime soon. They sure look awesome, and if they're better than the Klipsch RF-7's I heard today, than that's more than good enough for me.

Colin

no offense taken :) [message #34200 is a reply to message #34199] Sat, 17 November 2001 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
hi colin, you definitely did not offend me, audio has been my passion for over 15 years. i've seen every marketing ploy in the business. i got sick of the business and left audio for 5 years and even owned a pair of bose 901's, they are probably better than most of the so called audiophile speakers out there, i'm back in the business again selling audio with a fresh approach, selling sound without the hype. people are happy and dancing in their homes.

hey, calgary's pretty cheap to toronto, thanks to westjet.

cheers,

george

klipsch rf7 [message #34201 is a reply to message #34200] Sat, 17 November 2001 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
colin, the pi's are what klipsch should build, that does not look promising as the heritage series is still in limbo. i'm a dealer but i don't know how much longer i'll support the line, klipsch seems to have turned into a marketing company and forgotten their roots. i had a pair of k-horns on order for over a year and production is still not in sight. that's when i found wayne and i'm glad i did. better product for less money and the best support in the world. let us know how they sound.

cheers,

george

Theater series and 2A3's [message #34207 is a reply to message #34165] Sun, 18 November 2001 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZenAudio is currently offline  ZenAudio
Esquire
Till E (& others):

I'm curious about your decision to go with the Theater series. I'm just learning about the Pi's, but it seems that the experts suggest a 300B for the Theater 4's. I note you are planning to build some Paramours. I've just built Paraglow's and like the looks of the Theater 4's.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Re: Comparing 4 PI's [message #34209 is a reply to message #34159] Sun, 18 November 2001 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
you can do the theater 4 pi with delta 15" which is nice for low power set, or pro 4 pi with jbl2226 for the very best. stage and premium 4 pi are in between and better for powerful amps.
Re: Theater series and 2A3's [message #34214 is a reply to message #34207] Sun, 18 November 2001 14:46 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Of course, the 300B tube is capable of greater output power, but there's nothing wrong with a 2A3 driving these speakers. Works very well and is loud enough for many people. It's a pretty popular combination, to tell the truth.
Previous Topic: L pad
Next Topic: Okay, I'll be the dummy that has to ask.......
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 23:06:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio