Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » diffraction, is it important?
diffraction, is it important? [message #34046] Thu, 11 October 2001 05:56 Go to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi gang, just finished reading about diffraction. they state that it is preferable to mount the driver so that the distances to the 4 edges of the baffle are unequal in order to eliminate diffraction.( i found it humourous in that their photo of a completed box had the driver mounted equidistant from the top and both sides, very similar to the way i mounted my driver). they also state having the driver flush mounted is desirable as well as rounding all edges of the baffle. my speakers sound great and am just curious how much improvement can be expected by following these parameters?

thanks,

george

Re: diffraction, is it important? [message #34047 is a reply to message #34046] Thu, 11 October 2001 13:04 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Diffraction is important, but like anything else, it depends on the specifics to know what is at play. Some diffraction is bad, some is OK and some is even good. Diffraction is a useful feature for pattern control, for example. Diffraction slots are commonly used in tweeters to widern their coverage angle. Bad forms of diffraction are those that cause response ripples. As an example, destructive interference caused by two different point sources will create response ripple, with different peaks and dips at different listening positions.

As for the matter of baffle spacing, this is probably more a matter of radiation angle and baffle step than diffraction. At low frequencies the baffle is acoustically small, so sound radiates in all directions. At high frequencies where the baffle is acoustically large, the baffle forces radiation only towards the front. That makes it louder in front because sound is directed more towards the front than the back. This means there is a narrowing of the radiation angle as a function of frequency.

The transition from freespace to halfspace radiation occurs where wavelengths are about the same scale as the baffle. If the baffle is symmetrical and the driver is right in the center, the transition is sharper than if the baffle is asymmetrical and the driver non-central. This is because the center-mounted driver on a symmetrical baffle has the same distance from driver to edge in any direction. So offset mounting makes the narrowing of the radiation angle from freespace to halfspace a little more gradual.

Previous Topic: Crossover document - fourth draft
Next Topic: tweeter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 02:30:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout