Home » Audio » General » My new Abraxas Audio 12B4
My new Abraxas Audio 12B4 [message #3396] Fri, 28 July 2006 18:11 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

This little gem finally arrived in the mail today. Many of you may have seen it at GPAF this year, and may have listened to it with headphones. Jef didn't play it much on the speakers due to the fact that he had better amps to showcase than this one. But, I happened to hear it on the Pi Two Towers with Skip when I first got there and thought it sounded quite nice! Very neutral compared to the few other tube amps I've heard. I've hooked it up to the NAD Bee CDP running to the Towers for the moment to get used to it. My intention is to eventually hook the Seduction and TT up to it for a completely analog TT rig. It puts out just shy of 1 watt, and I haven't had to move the volume knob past the 12 O'clock position yet (I don't listen very loud). It's got great bass and of course great mids and highs. Very nice!

Thanks Jef!!!

Akhilesh??? [message #3397 is a reply to message #3396] Fri, 28 July 2006 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I know you have Jef's other 12B4. I was curious what your thoughts on using this amp into the PAWO horns with a plate amp running the sub. Are the PAWO horns efficient enough for the 12B4?

Looks Great [message #3398 is a reply to message #3396] Fri, 28 July 2006 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip Pack is currently offline  Skip Pack
Baron
I'll be interested to hear your impression after you've
broken youself in to the new combination :-). I sure
liked it at GPAF.

On another subject. I have just ordered a Ripper half-kit
from Jim Hagerman. I'll set up my turntable and experiment
digitizing LPs for convenient use on the Squeezebox and
have the table ready for direct listening as well. I already
have a Bugle I put together about 4 years ago. Did you
settle on a phono stage? I'd be happy to ship the Bugle to
you for a while -- you buy the 9 volt batteries (they last
perhaps 10-12 hours if you don't leave it on).

Skip

Re: Looks Great [message #3399 is a reply to message #3398] Fri, 28 July 2006 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I picked up Wayne's Seduction that he still had as a kit. Soon as I decide on a top plate finish I'll get to building it. Thanks for the offer.

Re: My new Abraxas Audio 12B4 [message #3400 is a reply to message #3396] Fri, 28 July 2006 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Shane,
That is a Darling of a little amp. Please keep us posted of how you like it as you get it broken in and your system tweaked around it?
Congratulations, it should be fun playing your favorite tunes on.
I always love getting new audio toys. But, it is almost as fun when I see someone like you get new toys, I am happy for you.
Norris

Re: Akhilesh??? [message #3401 is a reply to message #3397] Sat, 29 July 2006 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm kind of curious abut this idea in that I run the JBL 2435 on top (the commercial variation of the 435BE) bi-amp, XO at 1K. They're rated in their bandpass as a system at 116 dB, 16 ohm, 3 wired in series. I run them individually. I have no idea how to back out an individual sensitivity but I'm guessing it's close to as good as you can do.

Given that, I found that 35 WPC SS was not enough - they lack clarity at the volumes I listen, but this is nonetheless in my ~500 ft^2 living room (15 ft cathederal ceiling) so it's not a large space relative to the capabilities of the devices - I'm not stressing them.

I just don't have much faith that 1 or 2 tube watts would do the trick for me, but reading what many people say it certainly ought to. Sort of confusing.

Re: Akhilesh??? [message #3402 is a reply to message #3401] Sat, 29 July 2006 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Currently I'm running a 45 SET through VOTTs in a 25000 cubic ft basement, and it's plenty loud in my listening position, about 15 feet away. I have also run a 35 watt PP turned to "11" and it's just scary loud and clear......

Congrats [message #3403 is a reply to message #3396] Sat, 29 July 2006 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That is a great amp & a great tube, if you have eff speakers.
I love mine with my K-Horns...mark margiotta came by and listeneed to all my systems and his favorite was my K-horns (with the newly updated Xovers...BIIIG difference from before...so all of you who heard them earlier...erase memories and e prepared to listen again) running with this 12b4a doing the amplification, and a cheap little pioneer CD recorder/player (24/96 dac but cheap otherwise).

Congrats Shane! Keep us updatedon how you use it.
-akhilesh

Beautiful! [message #3404 is a reply to message #3396] Sat, 29 July 2006 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I just love that amp!

Initial impressions [message #3407 is a reply to message #3396] Tue, 01 August 2006 21:44 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've listened to the amp for several 2-3 hour sessions now and really enjoy the way it sounds. The power is adequate for my listening levels 99% of the time and it seems to do well on the Pi Towers.

After listening to some Keb Mo for about 30-40 minutes tonight, I quick switched the cables around back to the NAD 320Bee amp and fired up the CD again to the same song I was listening to. First impressions were that the bass was a little tighter (but no lower sounding) and the sound was more flat (maybe neutral is a better description--hell I don't know all these audio adjectives!) for lack of a better word. Sounded fine, but did't have the image and air that the little amp had. I had to turn the volume up on the NAD to achieve anything like the 12B4, so it was basically just louder which didn't accomplish anything. The 12B4 just made it sound like the band was more in the room with me than the NAD. Nice.

Now, according to Akhilesh, his 12B4 amp sounds very good on his K-horns. Maybe I need to start thinking about upgrading to some more efficient Pi's down the road!

Previous Topic: Great Plains or Lone Star ?
Next Topic: Excellent New Mag
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 21:55:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout