Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, what do you think of this???
Wayne, what do you think of this??? [message #33888] Fri, 21 September 2001 11:10 Go to next message
AP is currently offline  AP
Chancellor
http://www.decware.com/wicked1.htm

Thinking of building it......

How's the 928 running?

Scott

Re: Wayne, what do you think of this??? [message #33890 is a reply to message #33888] Fri, 21 September 2001 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It might sound good but it ain't a basshorn. Way too small for that, won't even develop transmission line behavior. We discussed this back in April in the thread called "Wayne's opinion on a "horn loaded" subwoofer".

As for the Porsche, it sucks. I've all but abandoned it 'cause now my toy is the Olds. But still, I keep the 928 tagged and stuff, and I'd like to drive it from time to time. My intention when I built the 455 for the Cutlass was to keep the Porsche as my economy car. It would be the "kick around car" and it's real cool for that.

But I loaned the 928 to Steve and he brought it back with a "water pump leak." Steve took it straight to Tom, who replaced the water pump early in the summer. But Tom gave it back to me with a bad head gasket and a broken radiator. No point giving it back, really - It was steaming like a train within minutes. So it's just been parked in the garage since the moment I took it back from Tom. I gotta take it back to him soon; It doesn't make much sense just leaving it sitting in the garage.

I'd really like to have a 944 Turbo like yours instead of my 928. Big block American iron is the fastest stoplight to stoplight, and blown small displacement German stuff is great for cafe racing. So having them both is like having two different flavors of the same sort of thing.

But the 928 isn't blown and it isn't small displacement. I don't think the German's large displacement V8 is as good as ours. We've just had sooo much cummulative experience with the design - You can practically get performance cam shafts for an American V8 in the local convenience store. Porsche would need to employ the entire German population to do research for a generation to match America's experience with the design.

But if we're talking about small displacement engines - and particularly those used for performance - we're talking about a completely different story. American automotive engineers didn't even care about engines less than 5 liters until a couple of decades ago, and the Germans had been building performance cars with tiny four and six cylinders engines for decades. Even Harley Davidson chose to use Porsche jugs and heads because of their vastly greater experience with metallurgy for air cooled designs. So I'd really like to get rid of my 928 and get a 911 or a 944 Turbo instead.

Wanna sell me yours? :-)

Re: Wayne, what do you think of this??? [message #33896 is a reply to message #33890] Sun, 23 September 2001 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The 944 woofer is through prototype and into production. I abandoned using composite material and went back to good-old wood. The shape doesn't really lend itself to using wood, but wood is so much easier to work with. I have one in my car and I built one for Tom. I've sold 4 so far. I'm not really advertising them heavily cause they take so long to build, about 8 hrs.

Sorry to hear the car isn't running. I'm sure Tom can take care of it. Stop by sometime and I'll play the woofer in the car for you.

Take care,
Scott

Re: Wayne, what do you think of this??? [message #33898 is a reply to message #33896] Sun, 23 September 2001 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Glad to hear you're makin' boxes. What size cabinet did you settle on?
Re: Wayne, what do you think of this??? [message #33903 is a reply to message #33898] Mon, 24 September 2001 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Best guess, the cabinet is about .2-.25 ft^3. Using a 8" driver, Rockford, and a bit of stuffing, it sounds amazing. It really shouldn't sound that good. The hatch of the car provides an enormous amount of cabin gain.

Scott

Re: Wayne, what do you think of this??? [message #33906 is a reply to message #33903] Mon, 24 September 2001 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Cabin gain is substantial in a car, you're right.
Re: Wayne, what do you think of this??? [message #33908 is a reply to message #33906] Tue, 25 September 2001 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
That's probably why I can get away with such a small box.
Re: Wayne, what do you think of this??? [message #33909 is a reply to message #33908] Tue, 25 September 2001 12:34 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's right. It's pretty easy to pressurize the small volume of a car's cabin.
Previous Topic: box dimensions
Next Topic: want a loud sub for my shop
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 00:52:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout