Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » eldragon, this review's for you
eldragon, this review's for you [message #33754] Thu, 30 August 2001 07:24 Go to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi gang, i'm done. i'm cancelling all my hi-end subscriptions, no more exploring to do. it can be done, a great speaker system, no i should say phenomenal speaker system for less money than the speaker wire these rags tell you to use. yes, i finally completed my premium stage 4 pi's last night. it's funny, after all the work i was scared to hook them up, i didn't want to be disappointed, but alas i'm happier than the dancing poles used in our toronto strip joints.
first some background, i've been in audio retail for 15 years and have been exposed to every new so called speaker breakthrough. i hate conventional low efficiency tower speakers- seems to be about 80% of the product sold- they lack what i consider the 3 most important things:
1- dynamic range
2- low level information
3- large soundstage (big airy effortless sound)
factors i do not care about are:
1- imaging (who wants to sit between speakers with their head in a vise?)
2- flat frequency response (who lives in an anechoic chamber?)
my 4 pi's have incredible dynamic range, are capable of revealing low level information (you will hear stuff you never heard before) and have a big giant wall of sound that extends far beyond the speakers. they do not have a horn sound, in fact the hi frequencies are the smoothest and fastest i have yet to here. bass is tight and fast and has very good impact. you will enjoy all your music on these speakers, even poorly recorded material.
these are keepers and are really a steal (i've got about $750.00 us into them).
i currently have the tweeter sitting on top of the cabinet in freespace, i'll be experimenting by adjusting the height, but it's great the way it is. also speaker placement does not seem critical, i tried various spots last night and did not notice any real difference. it's great to have a speaker that doesn't have to be pulled 3 feet from the wall to sound good.
my 4 pi's were constructed out of 1" 15 ply russian birch (solid as a rock- quality you'll never find in the majority of speakers out there). i've used regular 12 awg wire but will experiment with solid core and silver wire- but i don't expect much improvement- they just sound that good now.
my system:
kr enterprise 18bsi 300b 18 watt per channel single ended tube amp.
onkyo cd with msb dacIII 132khz upsampler.
stealth siver digital audio cable
powervar line conditioner
regular run-of-the-mill wire everywhere else.
i'll be tweaking and will post results as they happen, also will upload photo's as soon as my digital camera arrives.

hats off to wayne, you've given me a perma grin everytime i turn my stereo on.

till next time,
george

question for mr.replay [message #33770 is a reply to message #33754] Fri, 31 August 2001 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rewfew is currently offline  rewfew
Esquire
Hello:
Mr. replay I remember way back in this forum when you wrote of your new 7 pi corner horns and gave a fabulous account of their performance I thought with the larger horn flair. I've waxed between building the corner horns or folded horns (they'd be huge using the Eminence delta 15) or just doing the bass reflex 4 Pi. Are your 7 Pi Corner Horn's sound truly compromised from this deviation in horn flair size? Knucklehead that I am I bought the larger size Eminence flair. No problem getting the right flair cause I have'nt cut wood yet, but I was just curious from your recent post.
Re: question for mr.replay [message #33775 is a reply to message #33770] Sat, 01 September 2001 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
hello rewfrew, your right, initially my 7 pi's sounded great in the basement of my store. this room is an acoustic mess, it attenuates midrange to much. have wayne give you the correct compensation for this flare, it is critical. i built the 4 pi's because the cornerhorns were just too big.i am extremely pleased with their performance, their performance is incredible, huge dynamics, great retrieval of low level information and can move alot of air, characteristics i believe are the most important. keep us posted on your progress. i'll post some images once i stain the cabinets.

cheers,
george

Thanks George! [message #33776 is a reply to message #33754] Sat, 01 September 2001 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eldragon is currently offline  Eldragon
Viscount

Do Pi speakers need some 'brake-in; time? They should sound even better in time, don't you think? Also, what kinds of resistors, inductors, cap's did you use? Reading the DIY posts elsewere, they and speaker builders, pay particular attention to the quality of the x-over parts.

Thanks again!

dragan

Re: Thanks George! [message #33777 is a reply to message #33776] Sat, 01 September 2001 09:57 Go to previous message
Grand Master
hi dragan, your right, they will get better with age. i ordered the x-overs directly from wayne, because the previous ones were incorrectly put together. there are no exotic parts in them, but i may experiment in the future. the x-over is externally mounted for this purpose. overall i'm extremely pleased and will let the forum know how any tweaks workout.

cheers,
george

Previous Topic: Output Impedance of my Son of Zen amp - Compatibility with Pi 7 setup
Next Topic: Questions before I jump in
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 22:17:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout