Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Does anyone know how to shield a speaker?
Does anyone know how to shield a speaker? [message #33721] Tue, 21 August 2001 06:10 Go to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
My new 4 Pis are becoming a pain in the rear, I cannot get the drivers closer than 4' from my TV set without causing interference. Yesterday I brought the drivers to a local HT dealer and set them at various points around different RPTVs and was disappointed to find that they caused minor interference in them when placed closer than 2.5' or so.
Plus I had plans for a center channel that used the same drivers and I would like to keep it near the top of an RPTV.
I could go with an FPTV but feel with my budget and room conditions it will not be worth it.
Does anyone know how I can shield these speaker cabinets?
If not I am probably going to have to stop this project and move on to something else.
Re: Does anyone know how to shield a speaker? [message #33722 is a reply to message #33721] Tue, 21 August 2001 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Herron is currently offline  James Herron
Esquire
I would suggest that you simply keep the speakers further than 4 feet from your TV set.
Re: Does anyone know how to shield a speaker? [message #33723 is a reply to message #33722] Tue, 21 August 2001 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's probably the easiest way, sure. Magnetic shielding could be installed inside the cabinets, but it would be heavy.
Re: Does anyone know how to shield a speaker? [message #33725 is a reply to message #33723] Tue, 21 August 2001 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master

Oh well, I will look into wrapping the drivers in metal.
thanks

Magnetic Shielding [message #33726 is a reply to message #33725] Tue, 21 August 2001 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The discussion about magnetic interference was on your thread called "Pi Speakers for HT use." Notice the reply from "New Jersey Bill."
Re: Magnetic Shielding [message #33727 is a reply to message #33726] Wed, 22 August 2001 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
It is not worth the trouble to try and shield these speakers.
MU metal with 100% coverage would be effective but very costly, bucking magnets will change the TS specs of the drivers a little bit
and won't be all that effective considering the size of these magnets
steel is just too heavy and probably won't be that effective either.

I am going to try and find an FPTV that will work for me, I have a very well lighted room so it will need some treatments and I need to find a projector that is fairly bright and within my budget.

Re: Magnetic Shielding [message #33728 is a reply to message #33727] Wed, 22 August 2001 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I understand. I had hoped that the shielding material Bill spoke about might be a good solution for you. Please keep us posted about what you find. Your experience is useful to everyone else that walks your path.
Re: Does anyone know how to shield a speaker? YES! [message #33734 is a reply to message #33721] Fri, 24 August 2001 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newjerseybt is currently offline  newjerseybt
Chancellor
There is a company which specializes in magnetic shielding which
will provide you with several kits which you can experiment
with! There is plenty of math associated with magnetic shielding
but the theoretical formula can never take the place of experimentation. So say the engineers at Magnetic Shield Corp.

Kits run from $50 to $150.

Magnetic Shield Corporation
750 N. Thomas Drive
Bensenville, Illinois 60106
Telephone: 630 766-7800
FAX: 630 766-2813

They are located on the WEB. Their site is very interesting and
worth a visit! There is a detailed description of their kit which
looks like it will work well with most speaker designs. Read their
FAQ in order to design the most effective shield housings.

A second company involved in the same business is Advance Magnetics.
They also have a site on the WEB.

Advance Magnetics
625 Monroe Street
Rochester, Indiana 46975

Phone: 219 223-ADMU
FAX: 219 223-2524

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks [message #33746 is a reply to message #33734] Tue, 28 August 2001 16:53 Go to previous message
Master
Thanks for that info , that is the most promising stuff I have found to date as far as speaker shielding goes...
however my 32" TV is going out the door as I have have just purchased an LCD front projector and I am now builing my new 75" screen.
I am so excited to get it all hooked up.

Previous Topic: speaker enclosure
Next Topic: cabinetmakers work slow in summer and lose documents
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 14:32:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout