Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Which Pi's should I build?
Which Pi's should I build? [message #33662] Sun, 12 August 2001 15:58 Go to next message
Snidely is currently offline  Snidely
Esquire
Hello everyone,

I am new here and have been quite impressed with what I have read here concerning Pi speakers. I would like to build 5 matching speakers for my system and would appreciate any advice as to which direction to proceed. Here is my list of concerns, not in any particular order:

1. Small size (the smaller the better)
2. High SPL's (I like it LOUD and CLEAN)
3. High sensitivity (over 100db/1w/1m would be nice)
4. Low cost (the best bang for the buck)

I will be crossing over to my subwoofer at 80 hz, so deep bass is not necessary. What model of Pi speaker do you recommend to best fill these requirements? And then, how do I get the plans to construct them? Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Which Pi's should I build? [message #33664 is a reply to message #33662] Sun, 12 August 2001 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
These are my recommendations, in order of size and price:

1. (5) Professional Series four Pi speakers
2. (3) Pro four Pi for left, center, right and (2) Theater three Pi speakers for surrounds
3. (5) Theater three Pi speakers
4. (3) Theater three Pi speakers for left, center, right and (2) Studio Series one Pi or two Pi speakers
5. (5) Studio Series one Pi or two Pi speakers

Re: Which Pi's should I build? [message #33669 is a reply to message #33664] Mon, 13 August 2001 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks, Wayne,

for your very thorough and helpful answer! After considering everything you have said, it seems like I would like to build the Professional Series Four Pi's. I have emailed you with my request and eagerly await the plans. Thanks again for all your help!

Pro Series four Pi's on the way! [message #33670 is a reply to message #33669] Mon, 13 August 2001 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The plans for the Professional Series four Pi's should be in your mailbox. Keep us posted with your progress!
Four Pis on a budget [message #33678 is a reply to message #33669] Tue, 14 August 2001 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
The Four Pis are expensive to build for the average guy. I did alot of shopping around and found a few lower priced options.

Here is one option that may work well for you......

Jammin Jerseys has 20 or so 2226H drivers that were used once or twice for $200 ea.
Also Parts Express severely lowered their Eminence prices so today
you can really save a bundle building your Four Pis.

$400 (2) 2226H drivers -Jammin Jerseys
$60 (2) H290 Horn Flares - Parts Express
$122 (2) PSD2002 drivers -Parts Express
$165 All crossover parts and two D-cup heavy duty binding posts from Madisound
$70 Shipping for all this stuff
$50 Build your own boxes with MDF and paint them.

$932 total

If you did'nt care about prices and just bought everything from Parts Express and had a cabinet builder do the cabs......
$1400 for Parts
$600 rough estimate for finished cabs
$2000 total

Wow! You guys are great!! [message #33679 is a reply to message #33670] Tue, 14 August 2001 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I can't believe all the wonderful help and information I am getting here! Wayne, the plans and a great note arrived from you just as you said. James, the info on the best pricing around for the drivers is really gonna help me get this project going. With your wonderful help, I can clearly see that this project is not only possible, but definitely is going to happen!

I have a couple of questions to start off with, but I'm sure I am going to have more as time goes on.

The plans call for 3/4" stock, and I assume that it should be Baltic Birch plywood, right? Since that stuff is really expensive, would it work just as well to use 1.5" thick MDF (2 layers of 3/4" MDF laminated together? And since I would be making the cabinets 3/4" thicker, I should increase the external dimensions by 3/4" on each side, retaining the internal dimensions as is. Is this correct or do you recommend another way to do this?

When buying parts, I understand sometimes I need to get 2 or 4 parts and wire them together to make a larger equivalent part. Resistors in parallel add the wattage, right? How about the inductors? Madisound sells all kinds in all gauges of wire. What type and gauge inductors should be used? Does the resistance of the inductor matter?

Well, that's enough for now. I will be back with more questions later. I'm just very excited and want to start planning out thiss project. Thanks again, guys!!

Re: Wow! You guys are great!! [message #33687 is a reply to message #33679] Tue, 14 August 2001 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hello Snidely,

You could go 1.5" but it is a pain in the rear to have to laminate all the wood together plus cutting 1.5" of MDF is not fun.
I decided to comprimise and make my cabs out of 1" MDF.
Yes you need to make the boxes larger if you go with thicker stock.

Two of the same resistors in parallel makes half the resistance and twice the power handling.

Go with 16awg inductors......

Re: Wow! You guys are great!! [message #33695 is a reply to message #33687] Wed, 15 August 2001 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi James!

I've built subwoofers out of 1.5" thick laminated MDF and I have no trouble at all, so that's really not an issue for me. Isn't 1" thick MDF pretty expensive? 3/4" MDF only costs $16.00 for a 49"X97" sheet, but if 1" MDF is pretty cheap, maybe I'll just go with that instead.

Re: Wow! You guys are great!! [message #33713 is a reply to message #33695] Thu, 16 August 2001 16:56 Go to previous message
Master
MDF is so cheap I almost don't even consider the cost, and I'm always lookin to save a buck.
Previous Topic: ZMAX figure for very low damping factor amplifiers
Next Topic: JBL 2370 & 2426 for SALE!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 07:27:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout