Home » Audio » General » So, what about Digital EQ?
So, what about Digital EQ? [message #3340] Wed, 12 July 2006 14:35 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ever since Fred and Jim brought up DEQX in the post below, I became very interested in the use of digital equalizer in home system. In addition to the DEQX, Behringers' DEQ2496 comes up a lot on discussion boards.

I've read Jim's throughts on the DEQ2496 vs DEQX. But at almost one tenth of the price of the DEQX, the DEQ2496 is a more realistic option for me.

Question to the group is: is a unit like the DEQ2496 really necessary for home use. On the surface the DEQ has a lot of cool features. Graphic EQ, Parametric EQ, RTA, and auto EQ. The thought of using this unit to auto EQ my system to the room seems very appealing. I see great benefits for pro-sound where venue and setup changes every night. But my system and room do not change very often and I would probably end up using the auto EQ feature just once. Would it not be better to manually measure the room, and spend the $300 on a high quality analogue EQ instead?

Gar.

Re: So, what about Digital EQ? [message #3342 is a reply to message #3340] Thu, 13 July 2006 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, I have had this "Behringer" unit (1st version) for some time in my "home-studio". Nice thing for various measurements, but a little display... And all these functions...frankly, I didn`t use half of them...and after some time less and less...and DEQ went...like many techno-toys before and after that...then I just stopped with it.
IMO, really necessary - probably not; funny if you like these things - probably yes...

Re: So, what about Digital EQ? [message #3357 is a reply to message #3342] Mon, 17 July 2006 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just reconsidering my statement of how my system doesn't change that much. Whom am I kidding? Sure, it doesn't change nightly like the concert prosound guys, but I'm luckly if it remains the same for longer than 4 weeks. Maybe I can use one of these things... I'm flip-flopping all over the place.

Re: So, what about Digital EQ? [message #3358 is a reply to message #3357] Mon, 17 July 2006 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
GarMan,

Now that DEQX preamp version would be a real honey for EQ changes. It has a remote control that has 99 possible diferent EQ settings. Hence, you could change on the fly per each CD, record, or whatever other reason that you have.

Jim

Off-shoot Topic - "As the Engineer Intended" [message #3359 is a reply to message #3358] Mon, 17 July 2006 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Interesting point about eq'ing for each CD and song. I can never buy into the purists' approach that software should be experienced as the engineer intended. Might be valid if you only listen to "audiophile" recordings, but in reality, most of my collection consists of poorly recording/mixed material. It seems the more detailed my system becomes, the worst they sound.

Cool story. I once heard that when Oasis' "What's the Story Morning Glory" was mixed, the band was high on cocaine. No personal experience with it, but when you're high on coke, you lose your ability to hear higher frequencies. They threatened the engineer to crank up the treble so that it sounded right to them. Which explains why the album sounds like crap. Does this mean that if I was a "purist", I would have to be strung out on coke to hear the album as the band intended?

Gar.

Re: Off-shoot Topic - "As the Engineer Intended" [message #3360 is a reply to message #3359] Mon, 17 July 2006 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think the alcohol made 'em want to push the signals into distortion too. Seems like people that are really drunk are more tolerant of audible distortion like you can hear on the Oasis albums. I like their songs but hate their mix.

Re: Off-shoot Topic - "As the Engineer Intended" [message #3361 is a reply to message #3360] Mon, 17 July 2006 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So then by definition the recordings done on LSD should sound pretty far out! Lets start with Sgt Peppers.

Re: Off-shoot Topic - "As the Engineer Intended" [message #3362 is a reply to message #3361] Mon, 17 July 2006 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Gotta love the Moody Blues!

Re: Off-shoot Topic - "As the Engineer Intended" [message #3363 is a reply to message #3360] Tue, 18 July 2006 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think it was J. Gordon Holt who said something to the effect that alcohol is the single greatest cause of failures in hi-fi equipment.

Re: Off-shoot Topic - "As the Engineer Intended" [message #3364 is a reply to message #3363] Wed, 19 July 2006 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
And it is I who say "Alcohol can provide the single greatest improvement to the listening experience."

Previous Topic: Northcreek to Discontinue DIY Sales
Next Topic: center dash speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 06:11:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout