Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » The Sawboard: a circular saw guide that works!
The Sawboard: a circular saw guide that works! [message #33558] Sun, 15 July 2001 10:52 Go to next message
AudioLapDance is currently offline  AudioLapDance
Baron
For those trying to do things on the cheap, this jig's a dandy! Go to:

http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm

Ain't that a sweeeeeet jig!

Maybe we could start an idea trade or make a thread that lists a bunch of DIYer dream tools!

Does anyone know if there's an easy jig to put on a hand drill so it will drill perfectly perpendicular like a drill press?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: The Sawboard: a circular saw guide that works! [message #33571 is a reply to message #33558] Mon, 16 July 2001 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Akouo is currently offline  Akouo
Esquire
Yes there is, it is used in metal working to tap, but it cost 30 to 40 dollars. Cheaper and more convinient to buy small drill press. Size does not matter, we use it to make holes in the middle of 1" steel plates, just use a series of bigger drills.
Re: The Sawboard: a circular saw guide that works! [message #33578 is a reply to message #33571] Fri, 20 July 2001 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioLapDance is currently offline  AudioLapDance
Baron
Thanks for the reply Akouo!

I would love to get a drill press but for alot of the drilling I do it would be inappropriate--I can't imagine trying to lug my theater Seven Pi cabinets under a drill press! A hand drill jig/brace would be way easier!

Do you have a name for the tool you mentioned?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: The Sawboard: a circular saw guide that works! [message #33579 is a reply to message #33578] Fri, 20 July 2001 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Akouo is currently offline  Akouo
Esquire
The tool I mentioned is mainly used for tapping, you can get it from metal tooling supply companies.
Going back to the drill press. Go down to the local Home Depot, buy their smallest drill press ($40). Before you assemble it, cut the support shaft in half. Now, when you assemble it, just mount the head and the base. Take a jig saw and cut a nice big 4" hole in the base. Voila, you have a portable (25lb) drill press.
Buy a very deep throat clamp and a ratchet strap. Strap or clamp the front of the base when you are drilling.
You will now drill vertical hole with v ery high placement accuracy. Your only limitations in drilling is the size of the drill.
We have two, a .33hp-35lb-$40 and a .75hp-110lb-$130 of cheap Chinese "portable" drill presses. We sometimes use them to drill holes on 1.5" thick steel vertical plates on 65,000 lbs. hot presses. I figured this is far easier then getting the boys to tote the the presses over to the mill, especially after lunch.
Buy the way, they (HomeDespots) also have a small "drill press" that you attache your drill to. JUNK!
Re: The Sawboard: a circular saw guide that works! [message #33844 is a reply to message #33579] Mon, 10 September 2001 15:49 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Akouo, that is a wonderfully elegant solution to the problem of accuracy with hand drilling. I had to read your description twice to realise that the work table is gone; just drilling through the base onto the workpiece. Wow. If you're veneering, you could even forgo the clamp and screw the base right onto the work.

Previous Topic: Using Eminence Gamma 10
Next Topic: Pi Speaker's E-Mail is down
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 13:18:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout