Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Re: PA horn scoop bins (why am I getting involved in this one)
Re: PA horn scoop bins (why am I getting involved in this one) [message #33506] Mon, 02 July 2001 16:39 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks for your two cents. You know you're always welcome here in our little corner of the internet.
PA horn scoop bins-I take the blame [message #33509 is a reply to message #33506] Tue, 03 July 2001 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
I might have inadvertantly started this... responsible for Andy's attention to scoops, LOL... I wrote Andy, picking his brain about transmission lines for a friend. And the brainfart then occured.

Andy's area of expertise / interest seems to be transmission lines, from looking at his excellent site.

I knew that transmission lines needed to be damped, stuffed with wool or other material, to act as a low pass filter, such that the wave exiting the port would be in phase and reinforce the bass in the region where help was needed. However, the damping would filter out the higher frequencies emminating from the port and help maintain a smoother overall response in the mid to upper bass by making the direct output of the woofer predominant.

So, it occurred to me that those thumpy old bass scoop bins might actually be made to function more like a transmission line-horn hybrid IF the upper half was stuffed with damping, leaving only the lower part (mouth) open. Thus taming the humpy-bumpy low end.

Oh, well... maybe I had better wear a carbon filter mask before varnishing next time...

Re: PA horn scoop bins-I take the blame [message #33513 is a reply to message #33509] Wed, 04 July 2001 06:08 Go to previous message
Andy G is currently offline  Andy G
Viscount
No expert on TL, please don't wish that on me !!!!, I have built a couple of Kappelmeisters, They seem to work quite well is all. Any other type of TL, I wouldn't have a clue !
Previous Topic: wayne, which dimensions do i use?
Next Topic: Wayne's opinion on a "horn loaded" subwoofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 07:21:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout