Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Using Panasonic ribbon as supertweeter with Pi 7?
Using Panasonic ribbon as supertweeter with Pi 7? [message #33265] Mon, 30 April 2001 15:37 Go to next message
Eldragon is currently offline  Eldragon
Viscount

I am waiting for JSALVE's post on his Pi7' impressions. Also, would adding of supertweeter, at 10khz be unrealistic?

Dragan

Re: Using Panasonic ribbon as supertweeter with Pi 7? [message #33269 is a reply to message #33265] Mon, 30 April 2001 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I love the sound of a good ribbon tweeter, but I don't think it's a good match with a seven Pi. Ever since I've been making speakers with uniform directivity, I've limited my top crossover frequency to being low enough for constructive summing at all angles within the desired vertical pattern. Supertweeters crossed over in the top-octave don't fit this paradigm because the best possible implementation would only integrate properly straight on the forward axis. Movement of only a couple degrees off-axis puts you into an anti-phase null. Another thing that is a problem is there is usually a mismatch in efficiency and power handling such that the ribbon is too taxed. It needs to be capable of at least 95dB/W/M and to match the dynamic range would need to be able to generate 125dB at full power. Is the Panasonic ribbon up to it?
hmmm..i do not think so? [message #33273 is a reply to message #33269] Tue, 01 May 2001 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount

I guess the sensitivity is an issue. Ribbons are only 87-88db!
Anyway did you get the painting yet?

Dragan

Re: hmmm..i do not think so? [message #33274 is a reply to message #33273] Tue, 01 May 2001 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
At that sensitivity, you'd have to run a vertical array of them. That might be worth exploring, but it ventures into a whole different realm. I would not use a single ribbon as a supertweeter for a seven Pi loudspeaker.

I did not receive your painting yet but I'm watching for it. Looking forward to it!

Please post a link to your artwork website. It is excellent and I think everyone here would like to see it!

will do as soon as i upload your painting...! [message #33277 is a reply to message #33274] Tue, 01 May 2001 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Please let me know when it gets there!

Puno pozdrava!

Dragan

Спасибо большое! [message #33278 is a reply to message #33277] Wed, 02 May 2001 00:00 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Спасибо большое! По-моему, всем людям нравится твое искусство. Это очень классное искусство!
Previous Topic: Anybody have some Pi's in the SF bay area they want to show off to me?
Next Topic: Anybody (Wayne included) want to compare a Cornwall w/the comparable Pi model?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:39:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio