Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne's opinion on a "horn loaded" subwoofer
When I become rich and famous [message #33261 is a reply to message #33260] Sun, 29 April 2001 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Randy Bey is currently offline  Randy Bey
Chancellor
I will probably buy a couple pairs of Pi's, but until that time (maybe next spring, if all goes right) I need to find something that will bring home the tympani and double bass I heard at Orchestra Hall.

The Klipschorns did everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) right except for the bottom octave.

So I'm trying to think of the shortest point from A to B, by which I mean lowest cost within acceptability parameters. Unfortunately, I was unimpressed even by pricey REL subwoofers, and once we're talking 3 grand anyway, then we're talking replacing the whole speaker system, not augmenting existing stuff.

So my dilemma is this: can I build or otherwise come across a subwoofer with the horn loading characteristics I like (dynamic, super low distortion) w/o tipping the equation into the "shuck it all and buy a new set of speakers" side.

Two (or three) options being: Pi, HSU style subwoofer, or one of these spiral horn jobs.

Once the cost gets above about a grand, then it makes more sense to sell the Khorns and buy Pi's. Of course, I will have a spare grand laying around when pigs fly.

Re: When I become rich and famous [message #33262 is a reply to message #33261] Mon, 30 April 2001 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Just let me know when you're ready and I'll send plans.
Re: When I become rich and famous [message #33266 is a reply to message #33262] Mon, 30 April 2001 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysal is currently offline  sunnysal
Esquire
I am beginning to think I should dump my k-horns and go for pi...
This enclosure features a dual horn loaded band pass design for tens. [message #33276 is a reply to message #33241] Tue, 01 May 2001 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod M is currently offline  Rod M
Esquire
I think Wayne hit on the key word, band pass. Horn subs are refrigerator sized. You can't cheat physics.
"You can't cheat physics" [message #33279 is a reply to message #33276] Wed, 02 May 2001 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Agreed. One can get decent bass from a box that's only a couple cubic feet, but there's no way to make a decent basshorn subwoofer that size.
Re: "You can't cheat physics" [message #33283 is a reply to message #33279] Wed, 02 May 2001 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod M is currently offline  Rod M
Esquire
One can surely design an excellent bass cabinet with the right drivers in various sized boxes. Calling a small one a basshorn is the questionable part.
Re: This enclosure features a dual horn loaded band pass design for tens. [message #33455 is a reply to message #33276] Sat, 23 June 2001 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrrjm is currently offline  mrrjm
Esquire
I have the Decware WO32. I am very very happy with it. Just don't use the woofer that Steve recommends.

Ray

WO32...no proplem @ 30 hz [message #33456 is a reply to message #33252] Sat, 23 June 2001 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrrjm is currently offline  mrrjm
Esquire
My WO32 has no problem at 30HZ. It actually comes in at 25hz. And that's off the outputs of a 300B SET amp. I have not tried feeding a signal directly into the plate amp. Anyway it does not have a problem with 30hz. E-mail me if you like.

Ray

Cool looking subwoofer [message #33518 is a reply to message #33456] Sun, 08 July 2001 04:08 Go to previous message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
This thread has been primarily concerned with whether or not the enclosure functioned as a horn. A woofer with the right electro-mechanical specs can achive 25Hz as a direct radiator, so that's not an issue. What is an issue, and what we're discussing here, is whether the cabinet provides any useful horn loading at subwoofer frequencies. From all indications, it's a cool looking subwoofer but it isn't a basshorn.
Previous Topic: Re: PA horn scoop bins (why am I getting involved in this one)
Next Topic: Crossover induced cancellation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 06:52:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout