Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne's opinion on a "horn loaded" subwoofer
Wayne's opinion on a "horn loaded" subwoofer [message #33241] Wed, 25 April 2001 18:48 Go to next message
Randy Bey is currently offline  Randy Bey
Chancellor
Wayne,

I value your opinion and would like to know what you think of the Decware WO32.

He does not give exact specs on the unit, and references using a car audio style woofer, but the enclosure looks interesting to me.

It does not fit what I would describe as horn loaded, based upon visual inspection of the flare, but again I am asking for your opinion. I have a friend in San Salvadore who is building one of these and my opinion, not based upon anything resembling facts, is that he is getting burned.

Re: Wayne's opinion on a "horn loaded" subwoofer [message #33244 is a reply to message #33241] Thu, 26 April 2001 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It might be a good speaker, but it isn't a basshorn. Basshorns have to be much larger than this. Judging from the scale, the path lengths aren't long enough to even develop transmission line behavior at subwoofer frequencies, although it might work as a bandpass cabinet. But basically, this is a direct radiating woofer in a fancy box.
Re: Wayne's opinion on a "horn loaded" subwoofer [message #33245 is a reply to message #33244] Thu, 26 April 2001 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Yep well this guy has a pair of Klipshorns, like me, and (like me) probably wants something to cover the first octave since Khorns start rolling off around 50Hz.

Ideally this would be tuned to do 20-40Hz and roll off at 12Db/octave past that. That would probably blend well with the rapidly dropping Khorn response.

Deckert has a tendency to pump his wares. It all sounds so convincing when he talks to you, but when the rubber meets the road....

Re: Wayne's opinion on a "horn loaded" subwoofer [message #33246 is a reply to message #33241] Thu, 26 April 2001 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
str8aro is currently offline  str8aro
Chancellor
Hi,
I have an original wicked one with Peerless CSCX woofers. It is not a horn. The sensitivity is not any higher than what you'd achieve with two woofers in regular boxes which pretty much negates any benefits to using a horn. It's just a fancy bandpass box. I also find his hyping using different woofers as seriously misleading. A design should really be optimized around a specific driver. Anyways, you can see the nearfield response of my sub at the link below. If you point it into a corner, it gets down to about 28hz ~ 25hz. I don't think the newer version is much different. In my opinion, there are much better designs out there that are much easier to build.

John

Re: Wayne's opinion on a "horn loaded" subwoofer [message #33252 is a reply to message #33245] Fri, 27 April 2001 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysal is currently offline  sunnysal
Esquire
the design of the wo32 is slightly different and seems to have a longer horn length does this make any difference?
Nasty! [message #33255 is a reply to message #33252] Fri, 27 April 2001 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I tried a few models in Hornresp to see what I could come up with. The response in every case was terrible. Roller coaster response and nothing real deep. Being inside a small cabin helps, but from what I've seen, I wouldn't want it.
thanks! [message #33257 is a reply to message #33255] Sat, 28 April 2001 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysal is currently offline  sunnysal
Esquire
thanks for your advice, I am pretty much convinced...less than $50 for the plans so I am not in too deep...I guess you really would not like the cornu spiral horn then...has 4 nautilus style spiral chambers eminating from the backloading cavity...I have already begun work on this and perhaps I am screwed I have Fostex sigma 208 full-range drivers waiting to go into this...oh well, live and learn...tony
Equiangular spiral horns [message #33258 is a reply to message #33257] Sun, 29 April 2001 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Actually, I like spiral horns and have been making them since the 1970's. It's the only way I've folded horns. Many years ago, I considered the W-fold of the Klipschorn and thought how it is compact and all, but so is a seashell. So I opted for this folding pattern instead. Pi Folded horns are patterned as equiangular spirals, like a seashell.
Thinking of spiral horns like this [message #33259 is a reply to message #33258] Sun, 29 April 2001 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
as a basshorn like the Pi folded horn, not as a full range. Looks like a great idea to me.
Re: Thinking of spiral horns like this [message #33260 is a reply to message #33259] Sun, 29 April 2001 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It works very well, thanks. I think it's the best way to fold a horn where long paths are needed, as is the case for a basshorn.
Previous Topic: Re: PA horn scoop bins (why am I getting involved in this one)
Next Topic: Crossover induced cancellation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:42:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout