Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Can one upgrade bass drivers at a later date?
Can one upgrade bass drivers at a later date? [message #33223] Fri, 20 April 2001 12:59 Go to next message
juanstein is currently offline  juanstein
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

I am another person interested in using your speakers as a low-frequency box for the Oris Lowther horns, so I am primarily interested in the frequency range or 300 Hz on down. I am particularly interested in the four pi's and 7 pi corner horns. I notice your dimensions for the various series vary a bit. Could I, for example, initially purchase or build a 4 pi or 7 pi, and then upgrade bass drivers as funds become available? Would that result in an incorrect alignment due to box dimensions and port loading? Or could I request a set optimized for the driver I will eventually want, and use the "wrong" driver initially until funds become available?

Thanks for any information,
John

Re: Can one upgrade bass drivers at a later date? [message #33224 is a reply to message #33223] Fri, 20 April 2001 15:38 Go to previous message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
Generally, you can't upgrade woofers and expect them to sound better. This is because the woofer and its box form a system, and one needs to be optimized for the other. However, there are woofers with compatible specs. An example is the Eminence Omega 15 and the JBL 2226. Those can be used interchangeably.
Previous Topic: folded horn
Next Topic: braces for enclosures?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 10:37:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout