Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Humorina in Odessa!
Humorina in Odessa! [message #33122] Sat, 31 March 2001 18:43 Go to next message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
April 1st is a big holiday in the former Soviet Union, and it's a lot like "April Fool's Day" here except that it's accompanied by an actual celebrated holiday.

So there's a big party in Odessa, where my wife's side of the family is from. It should start here around midnight CST, which is 8:00am there. The crowd that gathers will be partially shown on this website.

Check it out to see all their fun!

www.ParhamData.com/Deribasovskaya.htm

Privet Odessa!

P.S. To Alex - Get us all some prices for those Svetlana 300B's and 2A3's as soon as possible. I think some forum members might be interested. If you don't post this information soon, I will put the picture of you eating hot dogs on this page and you will be very embarrassed. Lublu, tvoi brat.

Re: Humorina in Odessa! [message #33124 is a reply to message #33122] Sun, 01 April 2001 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Kvashnin is currently offline  Alex Kvashnin
Esquire
Well, Wayne, I'm scared to be seen on that picture by all forum members :-), so here are prices for Svetlana 300B. The tubes 2A3 are not available right now.

I can get Svetlana 300B tubes for $95 (new), or matched pairs for $160 (matched within +/-3mA), $150 (matched within +/- 5mA) or $140 (+/- 10mA).

Tubes was made after November 2000.

You also have to pay shipping from Odessa, Ukraine.

The tubes SV300B SE will be available in the end of April. Soon I'll let you know all necessary info about them.

My e-mail: kvashnin@paco.net
I'll gladly answer any your question.

Alex Kvashnin

New Svetlana 300B tubes for $95.00 [message #33125 is a reply to message #33124] Sun, 01 April 2001 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Great information, thanks Alex!

Are you going to Humorina today? I've been watching everyone there. If you do, better take your "50 kopecks."

Re: New Svetlana 300B tubes for $95.00 [message #33126 is a reply to message #33125] Sun, 01 April 2001 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stan C. is currently offline  Stan C.
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

Opera Audio uses Valve Art nickel plate 300B made in China as stock in their 300B amplifiers, due to its good price/performance ratio. However there are customers who want better 300Bs but find their choice is kind of limited inside China. I can check with them if they would like to try out the Svetlana 300B. FYI, Opera Audio is the single biggest customer of Sovtek in China but it seems to me Svetlana has a good reputation on 300B in particular. May be I should email Alex. On the other hand, we can supply VV300B with curve trace matching results too. My good friend bcherry has a nice outlet www.diyhifisupply.com

Cheers,
Stanley

Re: New Svetlana 300B tubes for $95.00 [message #33127 is a reply to message #33126] Sun, 01 April 2001 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
That's good information. I think it would be good for you and Alex to know each other, as you and I do now. It's simply another option and another source. I think he can get parts for you at a cost that is attractive, and he is quality conscious, as I am. His post showing "November 2000" parts indicates this - He will procure only the newest stock, and not some "old stuff off a truck." I'm sure you are aware of how important it is to verify this with Russian suppliers, because the black and grey markets exceed the legitimate sources 10 to 1.

What prompted this post from Alex is the large number of high quality tube owners - yourself included - that are participants in this forum. Many of those that own, or are currently building or purchasing Pi Speakers are also tube amp enthusiasts.

I've been in Odessa several times. My brother in law, Alex, and I usually spend most of the time together going places and doing things. Last time I was there, I felt that we should build an electronic ignition system for cars - because many of the people there have cars that still use contact breaker points. So we went to find a 15 amp, 250 volt transistor with gain in excess of 50. That's a perfect output device for a car's spark transformer coil, and the only expensive part in my ignition system's design.

This kind of part in America costs about $15.00 in single unit quantities, and it was less than $5.00 in Odessa. So we built the ignitors for a fraction of what they cost to build in America.

Since I knew that high quality tubes are also expensive, I suggested that Alex look for specific tubes in Odessa - just as we had for the ignition system's transistor. He's a radio man, and so he's as familiar with this stuff as we are, and he has found the best Russian brand - Svetlana. I've given him a couple of tubes to start with - the 300B and the 2A3.

I'm hoping that he will be able to get tubes there at a good price, and then everyone is happy. I also suggest that he be given a list of other popular tubes to find, so he can find information about price and availability for those devices as well.

Thanks for your reply, Stan. This may be good news for Alex, and I'm hoping that it is mutually good news for you, your customers and friends, and others on this forum as well.

Electronic ignition...... [message #33128 is a reply to message #33127] Sun, 01 April 2001 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stan C. is currently offline  Stan C.
Esquire
You are doing some good to the environment, cleaner emission and less frequent tune up with a low cost upgrade to electronic ignition. Did not have a chance to visit Russia yet but in the early 80s China were still using a lot of taxi made in Russia. You could smell the gasoline inside the cabin due to tune up long overdue. Not to mention their terrible driving habit. They never rev the engine over 2000 rpm, always stick to 3rd or 4th gear no matter how slow it was running, turning off engine while going downhill or along straights to save fuel. Look backing these were good memories!!

Cheers,
Stanley

Re: Electronic ignition...... [message #33129 is a reply to message #33128] Sun, 01 April 2001 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I've been in a lot of Russian cars old and new, Volga's, Zhiguli's, Lada's and Moskvich's. And I know what you mean about the old Russian taxis - grinding brakes, no pads, just metal rivets to disks or drums. And as you say, you could smell the gas, and hear them hit and miss. That's the reason I thought an inexpensive ignition system would be good, it would reduce maintenance and make older cars more reliable and fuel efficient. It is easy to install and costs less than a tank of gas. But what I had failed to realize is that if the guy never changes points anyway, he's not likely to see a benefit in improving them.
Re: Electronic ignition...... [message #33130 is a reply to message #33128] Mon, 02 April 2001 00:01 Go to previous message
Alex Kvashnin is currently offline  Alex Kvashnin
Esquire
Dear Stanley,

Welcome to Odessa! I'm sure, it'll be very interesting for you. This is the
multinational city, so you'll have opportunity to meet Ukrainian, Russian,
Jewish and other cultures being in the Pearl of The Black Sea, Odessa. By
the way, driving Volga here you'll be back to the early 80's.

So guys, come and visit me in Odessa! Summer time is the best time here!

Best wishes,

Alex

Previous Topic: L-200 Update again
Next Topic: Eminence changes posted
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 14:57:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers